View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #68
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
OhI find the Aldarion and Erendis story so interesting....... I mean it is very different from the vast majority of relationships in the books...... which are ...basically fairy stories .... love at first sightand whatever trials and tribulations the couple go through the problems aren't with the relationship .....

The exceptions which spring to mind are Faramir and Eowyn, the unwitting incestuous relationship of Turin and Niniel and the stupendously dysfunctional but so modern one of Aldarion and Erendis... it always slightly surprises me that it was really written by the dear Prof, who seems to have fallen in love with more or less the first girl he met and remained devoted to her for the rest of his life.. One can only assume he was an acute observer of less idyllic relationships....

I always think of that other " fairytale-that -wasn't " when I read Aldarion and Erendis - The Prince and Princess of Wales (can open: worms everywhere?)

It is interesting the idea comparing Erendis with Denethor ..... since the other exception I thought of was the largely untold one of Denethor and Finduilas....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-09-2004 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Nienna for Niniel!!
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote