View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #694
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Passive voice. This kills me. For years my teachers have harangued me for use of passive voice and I haven't got the faintest idea of what they're talking about. They mark me off for it without properly explaining what it is.
Argh! Passive English! The bane of my life. When I write up minutes I have to try and put them in as passive a voice as possible and when you've got to five or six pages it becomes nigh on impossible to sustain it. What really gets to me is that if I don't use it then someone higher up will 'have words' but there on our Intranet is a link to the Plain English Society (who we are meant to emulate in our writing), an organisation which deplores the use of passive English!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I love Christmas! But I don't like the radio coming out with Christmas music, and Christmas sales, on November 14. That's ridiculous. Off to Mordor with early Christmas for the sake of the almighty (name your currency here).
Ah well, while you're all out battling the hordes on Christmas Eve in Argos for the last packet of batteries and standing in a two hour queue in Tesco then I shall be sat at home, feet up, feasting on chocolate liquers and smoked salmon whilst enjoying a few festive films on the box, knowing I've got everything done early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
There is this thing at the moment about not calling the winter celebration Christmas because it is insulting to other religions. To me this seems the tiniest bit insane, but then I already assigned overzealous political correctness so I can ignore it
I'm sending to Mordor the newspapers that always exaggerate these stories about political correctness! The infamous tale of the local authority diktat that said Christmas Lights were to be known as Winter Lights turned out to be written by a junior official and was not actual policy. I bet the poor beggar thought he (or she, let's not be gender exclusive ) was doing 'the right thing' after being sent on endless Equal Opps Awareness courses and then got a real drubbing off the boss! Sometimes you just can't win...