View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 03:22 AM   #25
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

This chapter struck me as Tolkien's attempt at doing a horror story, the way the tension builds up and the fog becomes thicker as they get closer to danger. I especially thought this when Frodo calls out and the reply from, which we assume to a Barrow Wight, comes in a cold dead voice. Also the whole idea of a giant hand coming to do some nasty things to the Hobbits was quite unnerving and if this had been included in any theatrical adaptation then I think it would be surrounded by some incredibly eerie music.
The way Tolkien has built up the threat of the Barror wights makes you think that they will probably meet up with one in some way. I have even heard a theory that Tom knew that they were going to fall into trouble with the Barrow Wights and that is why he taught them the song. Also that he had been following them around so he was close at hand when they needed the help.
This I do not believe, I much prefer the idea of Tom being a mystery and popping up from nowhere to frighten ghosts away.
Well that’s what I thought anyway.

P.S Woot! post 101! I am now a Wight! Party at smokin guy's house!