Thread: Annoying lines
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 02:27 PM   #11
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hi All,<BR> I’ve never had a problem with the expansion of Arwen’s role in the movies. And here’s why. <BR> When considering the differences between the books and the movies, I always ask myself WWTD, what would Tolkien do? If I can imagine Tolkien making this change then I can live with it. Of course whether Tolkien would in fact consider these changes is pure speculation, but you get the idea.<P>1. I can imagine Tolkien dropping the Bombadil character. And Old Man Willow. All things considered the plot can move along without them. Although they were wonderful characters and added to the flavor of the story<P>2. I don’t think Tolkien would have dropped the Barrow-wight scene, although he would have to come up with another way to rescue them in the absence of Tom Bombadil.<P>3. I can imagine him expanding Arwen’s role. It adds to character development and helps the reader/audience relate to Aragorns character. A strong female adds a lot of interest. Think of Eowyn and Galadriel. <P>4. I cannot imagine him writing a line like, “Nobody tosses a dwarf”. It has nothing but a 20th century connotation and has nothing to do with the third age.<P>5. I cannot imagine him having Gimli and Aragorn standing atop a crumbling bridge/staircase in Moria and moving around so that it sways in a particular direction. Think about it. A stone column that weighs several hundred thousand tons. A man and a Dwarf that weigh a few hundred pounds. The column is balanced so precariously that by just shifting their weight they can make it sway one way or another. I think that Tolkien would have thought it ridiculous.<P>6. I can just barely imagine him having Arwen saying,” If you want him, come and claim him”. Perhaps not that exact line but some other challenge.<P>7. I can imagine him writing a line like,” Let us hunt some orc”.<P>8. I very definitely cannot imagine him having Legolas “shield surfing” at Helms Deep. I’ve got a real hang up with this one!<BR> <BR>9. I don’t think that Tolkien would have had orcs climbing the walls like spiders in Moria. If that is the case, will they climb the walls at Helms Deep, or will they be forced by the constraints of gravity to use ladders as in the books?<P>Tolkien’s style of fantasy writing was always based in reality. Fantasy based in reality…Hmmmmm.<P>Anyway, as I’ve stated in other posts, one of the reasons that Tolkiens works have so much weight to them, and are so “believable”, is that he never did anything to take you out of Middle Earth once you entered it. Anything that didn’t relate to Middle Earth was not included. Lines such as the ones we are discussing, and cheap movie stunts like shield surfing tend to jerk you out of ME back to the real world and break the spell so to speak.<P> Cheers!