View Single Post
Old 04-13-2001, 02:12 PM   #43
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hungry Ghoul
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
The frowning Beorning...

Valdavar remained silent for the moment, but it was obvious he was thinking hard. The Beorning had his head hanging, and was chewing on his lips; sometimes he shook his head, and then he seemed to count something on his fingers. He gave a sound of displeasure, which disturbed the silence that had filled the room over the last few moments, and slowly raising his head, began to speak.

&quot;It is no good disturbing the dead. I would never do this voluntarily...&quot;
Valdavar took a deep breath.
&quot;But I did not come here for pure leisure either. Times are hard for us, I have to admit. And I think I can smell something fishy about those Barrow-Downs. If there is to gain something for me which I can bring home, and it would make profit, then we could afford more time for the things and tasks in which my heart really lies. Currently, we even have to struggle to make ends meet...&quot;

&quot;And so, people, let me tell you why we have sent out scouts, me being one of them. Travellers over the mountains are less and less, and business is made the worse by ever harder circumstances. We have many hungry mouths to feed. I have been given the errand to gain whatever useful I could find along the western road - information, impressions, friends and travellers, and also whatever a strong man could honestly lay his hands on. Such treasures may lie in that place.&quot;

&quot;I am a strong man, and learned in the ways of nature; I have learned to speak the tongues of animals, and to read the signs in bark and snow. I, Valdavar, son of Vurdvrikar the Word-keeper, will accompany if you are willing to go there! I fear no living man, and by my forebears, you should be glad if I go with you, and if you know what is good for you, you better watch what is good for me. For the hand which is laid on my back I will not leave there, or on its arm for that matter!&quot;

And, being glad as a small child because he really seemed to have scared at least some of the listeners a little (Tom Ferny for one), Valdavar laughed out again and clapped his hands on his thighs.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000006>Gilthali on</A> at: 4/13/01 4:29:41 pm