View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #229
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Ondomirë bent down close to Losrian’s lowered head and whispered to her. ‘Well done . . . the bow, that is. But really you needn’t stand on ceremony on my behalf. My other . . . well, men . . . and I . . . are a little more informal.’

When she’d straightened back up, he raised his chin, pointing to where Lord Elrond had begun moving up the line. ‘Now there’s one you can properly bow to. Lord Elrond is making his rounds. A hands on sort of leader, he’s proved to be.’

Those archers nearby fell into a loose formation as Elrond approached. Ondomirë stepped forward as Elrond drew near and gave a short report of his company’s activity so far that day. In all, he thought, there had been about twenty or so of the city’s Elves that they and the Dwarves who worked with them had found and brought into the camp.

Elrond had nodded his head thoughtfully, saying that in all about fifty of the Elves of Ost-in-edhil had been found alive, so far, and taken under his care. The scouting parties, he had decided, would continue until mid-afternoon. Then, he wanted all gathered together in a tight encampment, with the bowmen, lancers, and swordmen to patrol and secure the perimeter.

‘Have we decided where we’ll be heading, then, tomorrow?’ Ondomirë asked.

‘That is still in discussion,’ Elrond replied. The Elves of Lindon were unfamiliar with this region, as were the Lorien Elves. He indicated that those from the city were being asked to come forward with any information that might shed some light on a possible area for such a large group to head toward. ‘Returning westward to Lindon is just not a possibility at present. Sauron’s armies will be moving in force toward Gil-galad. He is bent on our destruction. We will need to make a place of safety and refuge somewhere here in these lands from which we can recover and gain in strength. Sauron will come at us again, and I intend to be ready to fight against him.’

Elrond was about to move on, when Ondomirë motioned for Losrian to stand forward. ‘I thought I should let you know we’ve picked up a fine archer from the city . . . Losrian, who’ll be riding with my company.’ He looked toward her and then back at Lord Elrond. ‘Perhaps Losrian might have an idea in which direction we should head out . . .’