View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 01:24 AM   #79
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
The thread seemingly have had developed two parallel courses.

A) Human rights
B) Whether books fall under descrpition of 'satanic' (as described by Christian Faith, since the schools in question presumably profess such)

I rather tend to assume the main thing here is the clause B, and once it is solved (and I believe it is solved up there), the whole issue is worked out as well. For once it is proved LoTR and HP are books definitely acceptable by those professing Christianity, the whole point of banning those is lost

As for the A clause, I personally believe that schools have a right and are entitled to ban anything and everything from the classes, but individual has the right and is entitled to read whatever he/she pleases in the dormitory.

My [free] time is my own to spend, whatever the bans.

The major problem arises once school tries to ban one's free-time reading. Than indeed the battlecry of "excuse me pal, but you have no right to do so" should be uttered

Still more, it is unwise to ban a book, lest authorities doing so are not secret admirers trying to advertise it, and cunningly disguising themselves as persecutors in secret hope that thus books they are banning would become a way more popular. You tell people not to do something, next minute everyone is trying it out (even those who would not if it were free to do)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote