View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Like when viewing clouds, people see what they want. Having watched LotR many times now, I've noticed that PJ is very anti-Penguin.. Have you seen even one penguin in the whole 12+ hours of film? Pretty clear, the statement that he's making...

or

PJ is, in RotK, obviously prophetically showing the coming Penguin Ascendancy. If you look, you'll notice that the Gondorian soldiers look somewhat like penguins. They and their lands are under attack by the hordes of Sauron, which really represent Mankind and Technology and their encroachment into the penguin's niche. The green of the Army of the Dead shows how Mother Nature will, eventually, rise up and set things to rights, saving the penguins from extinction. After this, the penguins will march out of their normal environments and begin to 'push back' against mankind.

PJ's message is obvious, if you know what to look for.

Regarding Aragorn and Legolas: Sometimes I think that if action figure males aren't of the James Bond/Rambo/Schwarzenegger type, where one is a cold warrior that has no emotions beyond anger, except when dealing with a female fling. Relationships with other males are either deadly, as they are competitors, or standoff-ish, as they are 'friends.' You might see a handshake, or even some other 'pat,' but it's clear that the person has no affections or feelings for the other, and, at need, would kill that one as well.

You gotta be tough!

In the TV movie (adapted from Stephen King's novel of the same name) The Stand, towards the end three 'good guys' walk into the valley of death as it were. Each is portrayed as a strong man, though as they walk they take each others' hands and surrender themselves, bravely, to the ministrations of the bad guys. Later, when jailed, one is executed in his cell. The other two clasp hands as they can through the bars.

It's just too cool, as here we have men, obviously tough and not effete nor feminized, showing emotion and feelings towards other men in a brotherly sense. They lost none of their 'manliness' in doing so, nor was the affection intended to be considered romantic.

Is the show of consideration between Aragorn and Legolas, a brotherly thing, being misconstrued as somehow romantic as the audience isn't used to seeing warrior-types showing feelings? I love the scene where Aragorn watches Boromir expire. Here's this tough guy, who just beheaded a big baddie, trying to comfort his brother, then weeping over his passing.

Aragorn loved his 'brother' Boromir, and I don't see it as romantic.

Then again, I was looking for the penguins...