View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #75
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dininziliel, I still do not agree with your assessment of Boromir. Yes, yes, I remember those passages, but feel your interpretation of them is tainted by preconceptions. Perhaps my own is as well.

There is a big difference between a proud man who is obsessed with what he feels his duty is, and a bossy and self-serving one. Most people, even heroes are flawed.

I do feel that Boromir was in a bad place at a bad time, yet he was the next in line to the steward’s role. He hadn’t the subtlety or temperament to handle it, but he tried to do what he thought was right with great vigor. Possibly modeling himself on those he could identify with or admire. And he had been trained to be self reliant.

As far as Thorongil was concerned, he was under cover and left Gondor long before Boromir was around. I don’t see anyway that he could have made the connection to Aragorn or possibly have known how well traveled and experienced he was. (I do think Aragorn was concerned that Denethor might recognize him and this was one of the reasons he tried to avoid entering Minas Tirith prematurely.)

Boromir was like his father in pride. I think that his behavoir in Rivendell echoed this.

Sorry this is so rushed but I wanted to respond.

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]