Old 02-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #49
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Here's part 2 ...

Willie wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that Smeagol permenantly set his course, however, I belive that he got in a rut. He could get out of it, but sadly he never did. He sometimes did redeem himself in a way by choosing not to take the ring, however it wasn't enough and in the end he did choose the ring. However I don't think he deserved to die, but he did go into the pit anyways.
Some of the content in the excerpts from Tolkien's letters in my last post speak to this. I agree that choosing again (redemption) is always possible. When I said that Gollum had sealed his fate when he murdered Deagol, I was being, ahem, kinda cute [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] by employing a literary allusion to Greek tragedy--how Gollum qualified for bona fide classic tragic status from start to finish. While this is still legit, it (and the "into the pit he must go") implied that I thought Gollum deserved to die. This is not the case. I defer to Gandalf's eloquence on that matter ("Some that die deserve life ... can you give it to them ..." speech).

In the excerpted letters, Tolkien mentions a most essential element in the Gollum-Frodo-Sam dynamics that I don't recall us having mentioned--forgiveness. Forgiveness being, operatively, the recognition that we are, indeed, all in the same boat, and a recognition that we are all "employed" by Iluvatar/God/Love. In other words, we are the same clay, and are fully capable of the same choices.

Willie also wrote:
Quote:
And, one thing that I noticed with you is that you seem to like putting quotes at the end of your post. Keep doing it if you want but it is best to explain quotes if you put them in your writing, and if you do explain them, you should explain them after your quote. Just some advice if you want it.
Well, I am still getting used to message boards--their similarities and differences. All the same, I thought I was explaining things and then offering the quote as a way of referencing my remarks. I think I have figured out this board a bit better and hope I have put the cart before the horse this time? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way--I went to see The Pianist last night. If anyone wishes to see the power of forgiveness and faith (or hope), this is one of the most powerful illustrations I have ever seen. It is a true story and it is not for the faint of heart. It spurred a long and rich conversation with my friend about Tolkien and LotR/Silmarillion afterward.

Peace and Love (they're not just for hippies anymore!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]