View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002, 10:08 AM   #132
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The moon had crept in its silver course across the sky,and hung now, a slim crescent, just above Arda's western rim.

Pio lay on her back on the deck, head cradled on one arm. With the fingers of her free hand, she traced the last pale star patterns in the sky.

It was that quiet time of night, just before day, when most creatures were still lost in dreams, and even the birds had not risen to give voice to the coming light.

Angara nudged her with her tail. Elf! are you awake?

In a quick fluid movement, Pio sprang to her feet, knife in hand. What is it! Someone comes?!

The dragon chuckled. 'Relax, good elf. There's no intruder. I've thought of a good song. One we didn't sing this night.'

Pio groaned inwardly. 'There is one we didn't sing yet? Hard to believe!! Alright, then, I did promise, and you've kept your word to watch with me. But still we must be quiet and not wake the others.'

She took a drink of water and cleared her throat, while Angara hummed the tune for her.

'I remember that! An ancient song of Dark and Light as I recall. Sad, and yet triumphant in its melancholy way. Let us start in the midst of it, where lies my favorite verses.'

In a soft, clear voice the elf began.

In that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.

She sang on for several lines in the same soft voice, and then her voice took on a deeper tone.

Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth! O monstrous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!

Picking up the song in a darker tone, Angara sang.

Then Morgoth came. For the last time
in those great wars he dared to climb
from subterranean throne profound,
the rumour of his feet a sound
of rumbling earthquake underground.

Her voice trailed off, as she and Pio noted the two figures who had quietly crept to the top of the stairs to listen.

'Oh, don't stop!' cried Child. 'It's a grand song, and one I have not heard before. Please go on! One question though - what is it called and from where does it come?'

'It is called "The Lay of Leithian".' said Pio.

'And,' added Angara, smiling at her as if to share a secret, 'it is a lay from Beleriand.'

Kali crept closer to Child, his eyes wide.

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]