View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #18
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Oh, and we never hear Gandalf saying "Fool of a Brandybuck!"
Ha! And that's not to mention that when Pippin does something against orders and common sense, he alerts the Moria Orcs or reveals himself in the Palantir, and it's only with Faramir's illness that his foolofatookishness actually serves him wisely. Meanwhile, Merry is less prone to these kinds of things to begin with, and when he does go against orders and common sense he ends up saving Eowyn and wounding the Witch-king. Or discovers the Nazgul snooping in Bree. Basically, keeps a level head and makes good judgement calls.

But my favourite Merry parts are still his philosophizing about the world, in all the books. From his conspiracy and strategizing, to his relationship with Theoden and Eowyn, to his later role in the Scouring. This part is one of my favourite philosophical sprees from him:

'We Tooks and Brandybucks, we can’t live long on the heights.'

‘No,’ said Merry. ‘I can’t. Not yet, at any rate. But at least, Pippin, we can now see them, and honour them. It is best to love first what you are fitted to love, I suppose: you must start somewhere and have some roots, and the soil of the Shire is deep. Still there are things deeper and higher; and not a gaffer could tend his garden in what he calls peace but for them, whether he knows about them or not. I am glad that I know about them, a little. But I don’t know why I am talking like this. Where is that leaf? And get my pipe out of my pack, if it isn’t broken.’