View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #253
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

DayVampire,

I was just about to leap in and post when Bethberry beat me to it.

But I do feel compelled to say something more. I was sitting at the computer scratching my head in puzzlement after I read your post. I totally understand we might have different opinions about this or other topics. That's pretty normal when you get any group of people together.

I went back and eyeballed my post to make sure I hadn't written it after getting out on the wrong side of bed. But the tone didn't sound that horrendous to me. I was trying to make a suggestion and ask what others thought.

I don't think we've gamed with each other before. I've been in a lot of RPGS, but in the Shire (where I'm a moderator) and Gondor rather than Rohan. But if you have some personal concerns that I failed to pick up on before, just drop me a pm and we'll try and iron things out.

Meanwhile, you and I are probably going to disagree about the need for guidelines on the length of RPGs. One of my beefs about the old freestyle room is that the games dragged on and on, and three-quarters of them never finished. (Of course, the quality predecessor to this game was one of the happy exceptions.) That's what we're trying to avoid.

I hate the word "deadlines". If you say you hope to finish in say four months, it's not a "deadline; it's a tool to help in planning. And obviously people have to be realistic about those dates; sometimes you adjust them because different games have different circumstances.

Strangely enough, when I made my suggestion, the furthest thing from my mind was worrying about the ending date of the game. What I was thinking about was this: we started out with 14 posters including 4 founders. Right now we're down to 7 posters and 2 founders. That is a big load to carry and it loomed even larger after I looked at the vacation schedule.

I was also thinking about where we are in the game. We've reached the point when the questers will encounter the huorn and the Entwife and become aware of the existence of the Easterlings. Then we are supposed to head east. That is a totally new storylne which the original proposal didn't address at all. It requires a lot of planning and discussion. With less than a handful of people here, that would be difficult to do.

Anyways, I hope we do get these things straightened out and this game is reopened.

Child of the 7th Age

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]