View Single Post
Old 10-08-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Apols, can't do quotes easily on a smartphone....

....Form - it doesn't make much difference how close you are to a volcanic eruption if there's pyroclastic flow/surge, it will still kill.

The other aspect of this is that the land wouldn't be permanently despoiled once the ash cloud dies down, in fact it would become very enriched soil and productive land. Either Mordor isn't a complete wasteland (and I do wonder where Orcs get food) or there are other reasons why it is. And even Orcs wouldn't be able to thrive breathing in toxic air from constant eruptions. I prefer Tolkien's hints that it's despoiled due to industry and environmental degradation.

Anyway, a better episode all round. The Harfoots are definitely what save it for me, though I instinctively don't like the Oirish accents. Their culture is weird, they have seasonal habits and can't think about exploring for a new place to live/forage, they are a bit Darwinian in leaving the slow/ill behind. But there's a curiosity in some of them that makes you see where characters like Bilbo come from, breaking the rules, trying something new. The naiveté of Nori in calling the weird trio over (personally I'd run a mile from three bald giants in robes) was frustrating, she would surely have learnt by now, but I suppose that's how they created a plot shift. I hope Lenny Henry stays with this project, he's endlessly watchable, love the guy.

I do not like this Mithril thing. I can see now where it's going, Celebrimbor will use that nugget to craft the Rings and heal the Elven kingdoms. Not quite what I'd hoped, having read the Osanwe Kenta and being interested in the idea of them being to aid in the Elves communicating. But OK it makes sense now. Finally.

Speaking of, where is Celeborn?

Durin is great. The dispute with his father and the relationship with his wife were very well written. And we heard about Dwarven women having beards! One little detail - I do like how the door to Moria is so small and unassuming. Like when you build a cave house in Minecraft and just put a tiny door on it to hide it 😂

Did that Balrog have wings?

It better not have.