View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #36
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I'm sorry to say, even though I have long fought against it, that yes, Gandalf COULD have succumbed to the power of the Ring. But let me make it clear, not for a long, LONG time.
I would agree that it would happen sometime after the sun became a charcoal briquette...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
I still think that in all of Tolkien's stories, the one thing that comes through is that the more powerful a being is, the more dangerous he/she/it will be.
Well, that at least explains the presence of the Eagles at the opening of the Black gate - Eru was trying to get the Ring!

It's little known but there are whispers that Eru was paying more attention to making a good cup of tea than to what was going on in ME. When he looked down, he saw the Frodo, Sam and Gollum at Sammath Naur and all that he could think to do was to send the Eagles (it's his default action). But even he was thwarted by the act of Gollum, who seems to be some type of rogue entity unbeholden to anyone or anything except himself and his Ring-lust.

Quote:
But I think I have flogged this dead wizard long enough...it just really boils my tea to see people who think that Aragorn could have taken the Ring. I mean, how can you think that after Faramir gave it up? Faramir! The ultimate pallid Aragorn-wannabe! If he can resist the Ring, Aragorn certainly can.
If the Wizard is off of the list, as is Aragorn, then we're down to the Hobbits (probably not Sam) and the Odd Couple. Flogging yet another dead horse, I still believe that none but Boromir was penned to be a Ring-Taker.