Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #33
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
He didn't need the Ring to show people the right path. Theoden was under the spell of a Maia, and Gandalf was still able to set him on the right road. Treebeard acted on his own, not because he was controlled by Gandalf. Aragorn took the Paths as a free man, not as a Ring-controlled robot

Everything the others did was led by fate, if that's what you want to call it, destiny if that makes you happier. Merry and Pippin getting captured by the orcs for instance. And they were the ones who set in motion the acts of the Ents, not Gandalf. Aragorn chose to follow the orcs to rescue the Hobbits, Gandalf didn't force him. They're are a list of things that you could go on about that is all fate (i.e. Bilbo finding the Ring, Frodo receiving the Ring).

I'm sorry to say, even though I have long fought against it, that yes, Gandalf COULD have succumbed to the power of the Ring. But let me make it clear, not for a long, LONG time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
The lure of the Ring (“Take me, and you can destroy Sauron”) would find its readiest ear in the Wizard…don’t forget, it’s already corrupted one White Wizard…(Why do you think that when Gandalf returned he made sure that he went west toward Aragorn, or -- more precisely -- away from Frodo, when he could have just as easily gone into Mordor to help the Ringbearer? I suspect that deep down, or even not so deep down, he knew that he was the greatest threat to Frodo.)

He turned West because he probably thought that the people in the West would need his help more than Frodo and Sam. I mean, what if he did turn East and go with Frodo and Sam. Théoden would not have recovered and Rohan would utterly be destroyed. Then Gondor would have been enclosed from East, West and South because they wouldn't have one the battle at Helm's Deep and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli would persih and the corsairs would not have been stopped. Yes, Saruman would be stopped, but as Treebeard stated before, Ents don't bother with the wars of Men, so they wouldn't have come to the help of Gondor or Rohan. So many things would have happened if Gandalf had turned East. In my belief, I believe he had foresight on what would have happened if he turned East and decided to turn West instead.