View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #21
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
We must remember, that just because some people don't show an effect of the Ring, doesn't mean they COULDN'T become corrupted. Through the journey of the Fellowship, the Ring had no need to work on anyone else besides Boromir. Boromir was easy prey for the Ring, and the Ring had no need to try to go after anyone else at this time. Once Boromir is out of the picture, Gollum comes in, more easy prey for the Ring. So, the Ring I don't think is something all powerful that effects anyone that comes near it. It tends to focus on one person, and when that person is alone.
That could be true, but I have to wonder about Bilbo's reputation for eccentricity in The Shire--or perhaps it is Bag End's reputation as a slightly questionable place. Maybe the Ring, while lying in wait all those years, was secretly reaching out to the various visitors, whose behaviours might be skewed by its efforts. So poor Bilbo gets the reputation as somewhat or highly irregular and Bag End as a place best to avoid.

So perhaps it wasn't that the hobbits were so parochial or small minded, but that in fact there was sufficient cause for strange things overcoming hobbits in Bag End. And because no one knew the real source for the troubling influence, Bilbo got tagged with a bad rep.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-24-2005 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Why can't the name be Biblo?
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote