View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #87
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
-¤- Hithadan -¤-

‘A friendly rival!’ Hithadan laughed at the very idea he might be thought a tradesman. Most found him a bit to aloof when they met him, stand-offish, even a bit . . . well, scary. The very traits only an unsuccessful businessman would have. He took in a deep breath, his eyes flicking round the familiar room. It was here, really, in this little Inn where he could most relax and be someone who could be called ‘friendly’.

‘Nay, I am no tradesman, nor do I represent some merchant from beyond the Shire.’ He smiled at Tanwen and her brother. ‘Just a traveler . . . a wanderer, really. Do a bit of hunting now and then, as needed.’ He took a drink of his ale, savoring the taste of bitters on his tongue. ‘So, no, my dear lady, I am no rival to you.’

He saw Rhys relax in his chair; his muscles loosen a bit at the welcome answer. Tanwen was already at ease, her slim fingers playing lightly with the stem of her wine glass. She seemed much like a contented gingered cat, he thought. She studied him in a lazy, indolent sort of way, turning her gaze to her glass when his gaze caught hers.

Hithadan turned his attention to Rhys. ‘How long will you be staying at the Perch?’ he asked.