View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 11:42 PM   #32
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Just as Gandalf suggested to Frodo to not be to quick to judge if one should live or die...don't be so quick to judge a person, orc, or gollum's heart. I think Frodo not only saw in Gollum what he could become, but he also started to UNDERSTAND Gollum. With understanding comes acceptance and once that bridge is crossed, it opens certain doors, such as mercy. I think Frodo saw that burried deep within, Gollum still had a piece of himself inside, but could not totally trust him because it had become so small. But because it was there...he could not be the one to strike down that possibility for good to grow again. (if that makes sense) The other thing that I think Tolkien illustrated here was the consequence of choice and its responsibility. "Many live that deserve death and many die that deserve life...can you give it to them?" It's very valid question...is it our PLACE to decide that? Can you destroy a life because you do not know what another will do with his? If you do, you will carry that with you until you die and that responsibility for that action will always weigh you down. Once Frodo began to understand Gollum he saw his humanity...and thus could not kill Gollum. Because to cast down that possibility for goodness, even at the cost of his own life, would be to cast aside the whole reason he would want to destroy the ring. Why save middle earth from evil if you will not give goodness the chance to grow again? Also, the truth is, no matter how much you THINK you know what someone, or Gollum, will do...you don't know until they do it. When Sam and Frodo were asleep Gollum reached out as if to touch an embodiment of love he had long forgotten, but that is not what you would have thought if you had just met him. YOu would not think him capabale of such a thing. But as Tolkien took the time to write in the book...it was in fact a gentle side of Gollum coming out and longing for that love. Do not be too anxious to divy out death or life until you truly understand what you are taking or giving.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote