View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #89
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
First off, I'm far too lazy to read through the whole thread, so my apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

Secondly, this might not be a flaw/illogic piece of writing at all, it might be only that hobbits are really stupid/trusting, but I must wonder why on earth did they follow Strider when they believed they had seen trolls and Strider said "Let's have a look"? Now, wouldn't the most logical action (if they assume there are trolls around) to rather go further away of them than to towards them? Why did they not object?

Or did their subconsciousnesses catch an edge of reassuring humour in Aragorn's voice? Or did they blindly trust Aragorn (Sam, too, huh?) or that he would not really want to go there if there was some danger? Or did they not think at all?

So, what did the hobbits think? Or Tolkien himself while writing this scene?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote