View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
In response to Aiwendil's comments:

Quote:
I suppose if we want to be extremely cautious, we could delete "and very lithe" as Maedhros suggests, as this would make no statement one way or another and so agree with either reading.
I guess that it is better to play it safe.

I too like Findegil's suggestion when dealing with the fact that the Ñoldor are the best of the Elves in the delving of rocks.

Quote:
As I recall this was one of the last bits we struggled with. I do still think that "tallest of the Noldor save Turgon" sounds a little awkward - I suppose I'm now inclined to follow Tar-Elenion's suggestion.
What about you Findegil? I can go either way.

Quote:
If indeed the other Gondolindrim ride as well, then he cannot "alone" of "all the sons of the Gondolindrim" ride into battle. As for him being heavy and squat - I don't really see a need to delete it, though I do understand your doubt about it. I could go either way, I suppose.
I get your point about him ridding into battle alone. As for Talagand being heavy and squat, it doesn't seem to me like the description of an elf.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure that having a few Elves die here would violate the First/Second/Third numbering of the kin-slayings (think about all the battles that come in between the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth battles of Beleriand). But to be safe, I think we should perhaps follow Findegil's suggestion, simply deleting "or flung from the walls".
I like Findegil's suggestion too. For me the problems with the elves dying is that in this particular case is that they are Gondolindrim vs. Gondolindrim. It would be a minor kinslaying to me.

I'm in agreement with the other points made by Aiwendil.

Last edited by Maédhros; 07-12-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Maédhros is offline   Reply With Quote