View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #764
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Awyrgan sat back watching Umbria. For a time he waited for her to speak but eventually he decided she was still wracked with too much grief to reply. She will have to come to terms with this on her own.

He glanced out of the nearby window and noticed that the Sun was beginning to set in the West and the sky was growing darker. Time for me to be off, he thought. He pulled an envelope and quill pen from within his cloak, and finding no ink scooped up a handful of ashes to use instead. He looked at his boots for a time and then wrote a short note and placed it in the envelope. I would not part with such fair company on anything but pleasent terms. But I have need of haste as always and cannot tarry. It would greatly ease my heart if you could look after Nįrello for me for a time. He will wish to be off soon but the child has seen more than his share of sorrows and deserves a rest. May the sun forever shine upon you, He paused, and then wrote with some difficulty, and those that will follow you. On the outside he simply wrote It was a fun game - perhaps we shall play again some day in a happier hour. A. He placed what he hoped to be a sufficient amount of coin into the envelope and then placed it on the small table next to his chair where his could be sure Piosenniel would find it. He considered walking over and handing it to her but decided against it. He glanced briefly about and was satisfied that none of the other patrons would touch it. I have that effect on people, he noted dryly.

Turning to Umbria he spoke to her for the last time. "Farewell Firstborn. May the Valar ease your pain." He then swiftly arose and glided like a wraith out of the door. Few apart from the sandy-haired boy and a few of the sharper eyed noticed his passing.

He drew his cloak about him, the night was coming on fast and a swift breeze blew about him. The stars were beginning to shine in the sky. Awyrgan looked up as he did every night to see one small star in the North shine brightly as if it were dancing. It is as it should be. I travel under you, selde, the one who I always see and yet will never see. Suddenly his eyes grew cold, then bright red like fire as grief and rage poured from within him like the sudden breaking of a dam. Yet he spoke no word nor uttered any cry. For once he made no effort to silence his emotions even though he knew there were those in the Inn who could sense them as clearly as if he spoke. Placing one foot ahead of the other he strode off into the night away from the Shire and the warmth of the Inn.

It was after some time that a shadow slipped up behind him. It spoke. "You are late friend." "A friend approaches from the front Arassuil." Awyrgan replied. The second man circled around until he was standing in front of the green eyed man. He was dressed in the garb of a Ranger and his eyes were keene. "It has been too long Encaitar." He said softly. Awyrgan stared at him coldly. "That name is dead to me - I am Awrygan, the Condemned One. I will never forget this and neither should you." Arassuil shook his head sadly. "My friend, will you never find peace in all of your wanderings. There are those who would see you retake your place among us, the place where you belong." "My place is in the ashes of my house where I failed to return in time. Many that should have lived are dead because of me." Awyrgan spoke bitterly. "What concern is it of yours anyway," he snapped. He paused. "I am sorry, life is hard and joys are few. No, I will never find peace my friend." Unshed tears in his eyes reflected the starlight but they would never fall.

Arassuil sighed. "Come, the others are waiting. They lost the tracks near a stream, perhaps your eyes will see better." Awyrgan nodded silently and they strode off into the night, faces bent towards the ground. For a second Awyrgan's thoughts strayed back to the Inn. So long as there is such a place there will be those like me to defend it. If for nothing more than that those such as the elf may grieve in some form of peace. The moment of reflection passed and he focused his eyes again on the ground, ever the hunter.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]