View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
As a person, i think Boromir is portrayed just about as he is in the book. Obviously not everything from the book was included in the production but the parts that were, i feel, captured Boromir well.
Obviously I would willingly defend Sean Bean (as an actor) to the death, but I still felt as if Movie!Boromir had some problems. For one, Book!Boromir always seemed a lot like Aragorn, to me. His whole demeanor was very calm, very unfazed, perhaps a little more easily threatening... but Movie!Boromir was very easily agitated, quick to suspect other people, grumpy... pretty much your iconoclastic Bean character, actually. PJ almost managed to balance that unfriendliness with Boromir's apparent friendship with Merry and Pippin. Yet Sean Bean's use of Boromir's lines (for example, the scene where he tries to take the Ring from Frodo) are so differently connotated.
I think the defining moment for Movie!Boromir was when he and Aragorn argue about the Ring, just before they come to the Argonaths on the Anduin: "I would not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city!" Right then, Boromir's face becomes a SUPER POUT. Much as I love Sean Bean, I could never have imagined Book!Boromir looking like that childish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Any takers for Eowyn or even Grima (except he was completely cut out of any credible ending)?
Faramir and Eowyn were my two favorite characters in the books... yet it wasn't until RotK that I started liking either of them in the movies. I refer people back to "What Happened to Gallant Captain Faramir?", because that's pretty much how I feel about a lot of the characters: by changing plot points and personalities (*cough*Frodo*cough*), PJ and the writers stripped other characters of their ability to function the same way as they did in the book. For example, because Aragorn was younger and less stern in the movies, Eowyn was a lot more susceptible to his "manly" attractions, and became a slightly weaker character herself. Amplification effect, I guess.

I know this was supposed to be the best characters, not the worst. Sorry!
All in all, I think Pippin was nailed pretty well, particularly as far as FotR goes. Obviously all four Hobbits were dumber in the movies, but Pippin, being the youngest and the most foolish, got away with it more, even up to being in Minas Tirith with Gandalf. Sam would probably be my second choice.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote