View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #91
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Yes, I was thinking it might be Durin's Day or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I have no idea, but is it not possible - as it's the tenth of November, which is close to the end of autumn - that it was the Durin's day for that year? That would make a lot of sense. I cannot look it up now, but in The Hobbit chapter 3 when Elrond reads the runes, Thorin explains what exactly Durin's day is and that it is something like the last day before winter when the moon shows in the sky during the day or something like that. If we could determine if it was possible that year to be the 10th Nov... but I find it probable.
Ah, you little mind readers you! I was just fancying the idea, that on the last day that the Dwarves are alive, in the Chamber of Marzabul, they see the moon and sun in the sky through the tunnel of light that focuses on Balin’s tomb. I forgot that we had some scholars in our midst, but I don’t think November 10th was Durin’s Day.

Holiday of the Dwarves, Durin's Day, occurred only when the Moon and the Sun were in the sky together on the Dwarves' New Year's Day - which was the first day of the last Moon of autumn. By the end of the Third Age, the Dwarves no longer had the ability to calculate when such a phenomenon would occur. According to my calculations, the Autumn in the northern hemisphere is assumed to start on the autumnal equinox, generally on September 22nd, the season runs until about December 21st. The first day of the last new moon of Autumn could thus take place any time between about November 22 and December 21.

That’s my two cents on the matter, though don’t take my word for it, I’m not entirely sure that I calculated correctly. However, as to Balin issuing from Moria to look upon Mirrormere I think that this was just an urge that he had. Years ago Durin looked upon Mirrormere and saw a crown of stars appear above his head in the reflection. The Dwarves set a pillar up to commemorate the spot on which these events occurred and it was here that Balin died (I hope I’m not preaching to the choir on this).

It is possible that Balin was going to give a speech of importance to his leaders and wanted a moment to meditate alone at the site on which their (meaning Durin’s Folk) greatest leader had had his inspiration to found the colony of Khazad-dum.

Anyway, your new character looks great Legate! I trust that this will be the Dwarf who will survive until the very end? Thanks for getting yours up too, Ilya, it looks grand! Kath, the pressure’s on!

P.S. Whoever want's to take up Loni or Nali as a secondary character better make up their mind quick. It looks like we are winding down here with the preparations.