View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
While it is clear that the Noldorin technology gave their works properties that seem magical, and the fairytale styly hobbit has the troll's talking purse, I have always felt that the speech of the sword was a projection of Turin's guilt. May be by personifying the sword he is displacing responsibility for his death - thought I don't know that ME culture banned suicide in the way that Tolkien's own did.

I have alwasy found it very powerful and don't think the psychologicaly interpretation lessens it - thought I seem to remember being in the minority the last time it came up.
Not Noldorin technology, m'dear, but Telerin -- it was made by Eol the Dark Elf. I believe it did talk (if Sting can glow blue, then Gurthang can talk), having been imbued with Eol's malice. Interestingly, Kullervo's blade talked at the point of his death in the Kalevala