View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting Turin, and the living sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Children of Hurin: The Death of Turin
And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yes, I will drink drink your blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay you swiftly.'
Yet again this is a question that brings us into the more "magical" aspect of Tolkien's world.

Gurthang, the sword of Turin, had had two master before Turin. Is it possible that the sword being of high quality, and having been through many things, developed a mind of it's own? This would also raise the question: do all high works of the Noldor (or the dwarves of Belegost for that matter) have this ability? Personally, I think that Turin was mad with rage and grief so that when he spoke to the sword the voice was all in his head. Yet Tolkien does not lead us to that assumption in the text above. So I thought that I'd bring the question to the Downs: Is the sword really talking?