Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #158
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Perhaps the whole issue is not one of Christians versus witchcraft. Alatar makes a good point about "in but not of the world". You see, it seems to me that there is a psychological piece to this issue as well as the religious/faith issue: there are people who are given to fear, and there are people who have wrestled with their fear and have become courageous. I'm trying to make the transition myself. Anyway, there are a lot of Christians who are given to fear, and they need - yes, need - objects for their ready fear. Harry Potter is simply one of the chosen objects. There are also a lot of Muslims who are given to fear, and they cry out against the Great Satan in the West, by which they usually mean the USA. But there are also courageous Christians and Muslims - and wiccans, no doubt - who have moved past fear to understanding; these people do see themselves as part of a community and try to build others up. When there is real Evil afoot, aka actual bombings and murders, etc., the fearful and the courageous tend to forget their differences and band together to deal with the real threat in their midst.

All of which is to say, I really think this is not a Christians versus witchcraft issue.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote