View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #66
Ughósh the Abominable
Pile O'Bones

Ughósh the Abominable has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ughósh the Abominable
Sting

I'd have to say that of all the Silmarillion characters, my absolute favorite, without question, is Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, Mormegil, Bane of Glaurung.

If he wasn't the greatest warrior ever known to the race of Men, then at least he was the son of the guy who was. Turin was just sweet; there's no two ways about it. Just the thought of a guy who wins renown as the Black Sword of Nargothrond causes waves of awesome to wash over me. He's also one of the few warriors renowned in tales as the slayer of a dragon. And which dragon did he slay? Only the Father of All Dragons, Glaurung the Golden!

Yes, his story was tragic; but it was beautiful for its tragedy. The First Age was an age of sorrow, and Turin was simply caught up in that. Yet in his life of sorrow, he did great deeds despite his despair, even if the deeds themselves were done only in desperation or vengeance. That adds sort of a Dark Knight element to his character that I find extremely sexy.

In all, I find Turin to be a very human character: tormented, chased by his own doom, and suffering his most bitter grief in the very hour of his greatest triumph. So yeah, like I said: Bloodstained son of Ill-Fate all the way.