View Single Post
Old 07-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #53
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got to say I've got this fascination with both Fëanor and Maedhros, his son. Fëanor intrigues me, because his legacy endures throughout the Three Ages, his works permeate the mystery of Middle Earth and Valinor alike; he captured the light of the Two Trees, created the Palantiri and the Lamps of Fëanor (light bulbs?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also the Fëanorian alphabet. What couldn't this elf do? And I'm certain he put all of himself into his creations...he seems to be the embodiment of the Realization of Art--its externalization in purest form; but, alas, we all know how he was marred, and I think this must have somehow been in the design of Eru, for it is a great fall, but one that seems inherent in the nature of one who is filled with a gemlike inner flame.

And of all his sons, I felt for Maedhros and Maglor most keenly, as they seemed to have a strong pull to the good, despite an oath taken in an evil haste. Maedhros was most reconciled to the other houses, and seemed the most torn in two over the precipitating Oath of Fëanor. I also have an inexplicable "thing" for him! :P

Also, it is good to see other Huan fans here! I LOVE the Wolf of Valinor! And Beren and Luthien! Beren was clear of mind and purpose, full of a pure love for Luthien, and she filled with the same for Beren. It is a beautiful thing, for they took it to its end and back again, real examples for us all!

I am ambivalent towards Turin Turambar and will have to read more about him (have the account in the UT to read soon!) before I make final judgement. Ah, but no judgement is ever final in my eyes...there are so many HoME books I haven't read, and I'll probably seek them out to the extent that they cover the topic of Fëanor!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote