View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Ruoutorin
Pile O'Bones

Ruoutorin has just left Hobbiton.
The Annoying Hobbit

When I was a child (in sixth grade) the first "taste" of Tolkien that I had was a class reading of The Hobbit with a subsequent test on The Hobbit. Although I had to read it through, I just could not get into it, and wound up with a 65% on the test which was the lowest score that I ever received in my life before or after this test. Some years later I read the Lord of the Rings, which I loved and couldn't get enough of. At this point I tried The Hobbit again, and this time I was able to finish it quickly, but I still didn't like it. Shortly after that I read the Silmarillian (which I think is the best novel that I have ever read, and I've read novels uncounted) and the Unfinished Tales which I also loved.
Recently I picked up the Annotated Hobbit. I began reading it myself in the hope that the notations would tie The Hobbit more into the LotR and the Sil and make me see The Hobbit in a different light or as a prequal to LotR and worthy of the same status. Although the notes are excellent, I still, after all these years, find the story of The Hobbit distasteful.
The Hobbit depicts Dwarves as bumbling and goofy. Thorin acts nothing like a Dwarven King **glares angrily at Tolkien**. Gandalf is portrayed as somwhat of a cartoon wizard and Bilbo, oh Bilbo, reminds me of Winnie the Pooh (oh bother!). The Elves sing silly songs and tease people. And Gollum, I don't even want to talk about him. Bilbo is sitting near Gollum in his cave and Bilbo has the One Ring in his pocketessss and Gollum can't sense that something's up??? Gollum has already worn or carried the Ring nearly 500 years by this point. In LotR Gollum follows Frodo and Sam to the most perilous destinations (Mordor) in order to pursue the Ring. Why do we never see him again after the encounter in his cave???? The account that Tolkien gives of Gollums wanderings afterwards are pretty lame. I have more complaints, but I think I have relayed my point. I am quite aware that the Hobbit was written as a children's book, but I still do not see this as an excuse to make all of the characters "bumbling" and then use them in a story where they are expected to be respected. If Tolkien needed to change the characters personalities then he should have changed the characters altogether, no?
Does anyone feel the same as I do about The Hobbit???? I feel so alone lol.
Ruoutorin is offline   Reply With Quote