Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 02:13 AM   #103
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

'And I am called "Descender" which is my name in the common tongue. Nay, it is I who should apologise. If it were not for me, ye would have caught up with yer companion. But fear not, I deem that there is still life within ye and hath not ran out as yet. Here, let me help you up.'

Dadrantor could not help but notice Mariah's simple and shy beauty. She must be really embarrased to be THAT red, thought the elf with both amusement and pity.

But as he helped Mariah up, both she and Galadel saw a brief flash of what seemed to be anger in the elf's face followed by a wave of pain and sorrow. The moment passed, however, and he looked tenderly at Mariah.

'I hope that you aren't hurt,' asked the Dark Elf to Mariah. Then he noticed Galadel. Placing his right hand at his breast, he bowed to her and said,

'Meneg suilaid, hiril nîn: le buiathon. Esto nin i-Dhadrantor, Mor-edhel Eryn Lasgalena
(Greetings, mi-lady. I am at your service. Call me the Descender, a Dark Elf from The Wood of Greenleaves [the new name of Mirkwood]).'

A Dark Elf! thought Galadel. She remembered suddenly the Dark Elves who attempted to kill her earlier.

'Mae govannen, Dadrantor. Im Galadel, iell Celeborn a Galadriel o Lothlórien (Well met, Descender. I am Galadel, daughter to Celeborn and Galadriel of Lothlórien).' Then, speaking directly into his mind (for she was the daughter of Galadriel after all), Galadel added, I recognise you, though I do not remember when I saw you last. Your Elven cloak tells me that you passed by Lórien ere we met.

It is true, Lady Galadel, I did dwell in Lothlórien for some time, and this cloak was given me by Galadriel herself. And I recognise you too though I also do not remember when we met.

Speaking to both women, Dadrantor said, 'Please Lady Galadel and Miss Mariah, come and share a meal with me,' Lady Galadel, the maid, Mariah, seems to be hungry--she will not be too shy if you were to accompany her as she eats, 'so I may not eat alone.'

Dadrantor then noticed that Mariah was barefoot. She needs shoes, thought the elf, Once we are done eating, I'll see if we can find a shoe-maker so we can get her some sh---

Dadrantor's thoughts were interrupted as Galadel caught his glance and looked deeply into his eyes, searching his inmost mind.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]