View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #316
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
I'm sure it would have the same effect and the same tension.
but your script below, very well put together I must say, is different from the book. You say
Quote:
Skip the cock. The Witch King charges towards Gandalf. Gandalf is ready to meet him and then...

...well, horns and stuff, Rohan came. The Witch King turns and rushes out the gate where his fell beast awaits its master.
You are adding in action (ie the wk charging at gandalf) here to heighten the scene on screen. What I'm saying is that you can't do this scene on celluloid with the two of them standing yards apart talking to each other and one of them brandishing a sword. You had to add action to bring us to a point where the Rohirrim 'saved the day'.

PS your way would look a lot better to me though than PJs version. But I also think PJs making the WK look stronger than gandalf so it gives eowyn and merry even more of a heroic stature than they already have - someone who could perhaps defeat gandalf killed by a mortal woman and hobbit.

PPS as said months back on this thread - the countless times I've read this scene in the book I always have a feeling that Gandalf is somewhat bluffing - I seem to get the feeling myself that the WK IS stronger. (though I don't like gandalf prostrate on the floor - that is too much I admit)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote