View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #56
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Galendor has just left Hobbiton.
After viewing the trailer several times, I'm sure our general reaction to the actual movie will be similar to that of LOTR. We'll be exicited to see our beloved book presented (again) in film. We may generally like it, but we will have many small and larger problems with the portrayal.

Galadriel is in the trailer because she is portrayed by a famous actress. It is advertisement. I was surprised that Elrond was not shown.

There will be a lot of time devoted to making this movie "fit" with the LOTR movie storyline, obviously. Much of the movie will deal with Gandalf's adventures figuring out who the Necromancer is (i.e. Sauron), foreshadowing LOTR. I suspect that is where Gandalf is wandering among stone ruins. He has to get the map that shows the secret door on the Lonely Mountain.

Regarding film portrayal of the "humor" of The Hobbit: I did notice that towards the end of the trailer there is a momentary scene that looks like the "cleaning up" scene that occurs after a meal in Bilbo's home in the book. I wonder if Gandalf will ask for cold chicken and pickles?