View Single Post
Old 05-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #246
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White Tree Falowik

When they came through the gate, Falowik searched the crowd. She was not there. He smiled at the cheering crowd. When they quieted in respect for Lira, Falowik allowed his expression to come more in line with the sombreness that had been with him since the day had begun. Looking ahead, he saw the pavilion that had been erected.

Uien was standing there, his lodestone. He would never try to explain what that meant to any but her. It was not that he felt such a strong love for her, though that was true. Whatever place she was in, that place was the magnet of his life. It could not be explained, it simply was.

When they stopped, his eyes were on her alone, even as he dismounted. Hers were on him, and there was relief in her eyes. He helped to carry and lay Lira's body on the bed in the pavilion. Then they stood there, and Falowik's heart was slain by the beauty of the lament the women sang. He thought of all the things he remembered of Lira, for the song seemed to draw the memories from the depths of his mind. She had been a good friend, uncomplaining and loyal, and had fought for the cause even beyond her death. Lira would forever hold an honored place in his memory. Farewell, friend. May it be well with you in that far country.

The song was ended. The crowd dispersed. Uien remained standing, looking upon the form of Lira in repose, beautiful now in her final sleep. Falowik came to Uien's side and waited. At last she took his hand in hers, and they walked beyond the settlement gate and to the shore of the Lake, waving to Lumiel and Eswen as the sun lowered toward the horizon of the Hills to the west of Lake Evendim. They walked for a long time and spoke little. Falowik was at peace, his heart full with Uien walking beside him.

They stopped at last far down the lakeshore as the stars appeared.

"Where shall we go now, fair one?"

She looked at him, her eyes large and luminous, reflecting the light of the brightening stars.

"I have thought of accompanying the Elves as they return Lira's body to Eryn Lasgalen, but the passes of Ered Mithrin are an evil to me, and I would not go that way again, Lauréatan."

"I do not care where we go, as long as we go together."

Uien smiled. "That is as I would have it, my love."

He took her in his arms and they watched the stars for a long time, exchanging few words before they started back to the settlement.