View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #244
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Lira dead. But...but...she was an elf. She could not die...elves did not die. They were quick, swift with their arm and keen of eye. No, no...it could not be true. I brought my eyes to Uien's face and I said, "How did she die?"

"She fell, from the roof. Whether by strange magic or by accident the roof caved and she broke her neck upon the stone floor." Uien brow wrinkled and a silent tear slipped from her eye.

Not only had Lira died she had died by freak accident. I shook my head. It did not end like this. If she had died she should have died in glory and splendor, by either throwing herself in front of an arrow to save another or in combat. That was how it always ended in the tales.

But tales always lied to you. I kicked at a stone and watched it trip across the uneven surface of the grounds. But wait...hadn't King Theoden of Rohan died from an accident as well? I thought. Killed by his own horse, wasn't he? Pity...why did so many brave men have to die in such a...a...an awful way? It wasn't right...they deserved better.

Truth be told, they deserved to live, but if they had to die could they not have died killing their enemies? Why did they have to die by accidents?

And Lira...she was so ugly in a darling way. Her voice -- that beautiful, water like voice that could cheer me up and comfort me on the dark nights. Gone. All gone.

I buried my head in my arms and sobbed.