View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 05:33 AM   #252
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Wyrma (and Wasim)

Wyrma sat silently for a moment, her eyes looking past Wasim as she pondered his fate. Then her lips turned upwards in a thin, cruel smile. Yes, she thought, that will serve very well. It is a shame that I will have to look for new tools, but it will not be difficult to find better ones than these were.

Wasim’s head jerked up to look at her as she spoke in her most commanding tone. “You seem to have been more successful as a bird than in human shape. At least you were able to escape from the enemies that way, since you could not deal them a blow. Therefore you shall have opportunity to keep the shape that suits you best. Transform back to it!”

Puzzled by her command, he shivered slightly, then concentrated to obey her. She picked up the trembling little crow in her hands, almost crushing it with the pressure of her controlled anger. A few energetic steps brought her to the corner of the room, where an empty birdcage stood, forlorn and unused since she had banned the annoyingly cheerful singer from her presence. She thrust Wasim into the gilded metal cage and closed the latch before calling out imperiously, “Guards!”

The two burly men burst into the room, weapons lifted to ward off the presumed danger. Their eyes darted back and forth as they came to a standstill before Wyrma, awaiting her command. “Here is your prisoner!” she said, secretly amused at their obvious confusion. “Take him hence and place him in a small iron cage that cannot be opened by anyone.”

My family! Wasim attempted to call out, but all that the Umbarian guards heard was a raucous “Caw!” Wyrma understood him, and answered indirectly, “Ah yes – the cage with the bird will be sent to his family very soon. I am sure they will be happy to have him back alive.”

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

Later that day, she stood before Falasmir, unmoved outwardly, but very uncomfortable inside, a feeling she did not relish. He had taken out his frustration over the state of his ships and port in a tirade on the incompetence of shape-changers to accomplish tasks, and though she had listened with seeming patience, she was seething with the combined wrath over his impertinence and Wasim’s failure. Finally she could contain herself no longer.

“Not my people alone have failed – you forget the destruction of your ships, Falasmir! Gondor has proven harder to wound than you thought in your pride! You should clean the dung out of your own stables before searching for it in mine.”

Falasmir arose from his throne, his face livid with rage. “A fine ally you have proven to be!” he shouted. “You want my help without giving yours in return. You offer counsel and give criticism instead. You have not fulfilled your part of the contract. Leave my city before I have you kicked out of it like a mongrel dog!”

Wyrma’s voice was icy as she answered. “I will gladly forsake you so that you may see to the repair of your harbour and the building of new ships. What does a weak Umbar have to offer my people?” With those words, she turned and swept out of the room, her head held high.

In her room, she directed Elsta to pack her belongings immediately. The maid moved quickly and silently, and before long Wyrma’s clothing and personal things were stowed away in baskets and chests. In the meantime the Maenwaith leader had gathered the papers that her desk held, wrapping them securely and placing them in a leather bag that she carried herself. They were interrupted by a knock on the door.

Wyrma was nearby and opened it slightly to see who craved entrance. When she saw Galandor, she quickly let him in, glancing down the hallway behind him to be sure that no one was watching. “Was I convincing enough?” she asked, her eyebrows raised questioningly.

“Quite!” he answered with a smile. “News of your leaving will spread throughout the city within the hour, I am sure. No one will suspect that you still have contact with anyone here. I wish I could go with you, but I will have opportunity to further our plans here more than ever now.”

“Send me a messenger to let me know how it goes,” she murmured. “Farewell for a time!” As soon as the side door closed behind him, Elsta opened the other. One of their men had brought a cart for the luggage, and they made their way through the corridors rapidly. No guards impeded their progress, but Wyrma breathed a sigh of relief when they had left the city gates behind them. She was on her way home.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 07-17-2004 at 05:32 PM.