Thread: Magic vs. Power
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 04:33 PM   #90
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Um, well, okay. So this thread is actually just about what you guys think about magic and power, and nothing to do with Tolkien, right?
Wrong! We are trying to figuer out how magic works in ME. To do so we had to make our own deffinitions of aspects of ME magic we think we see. For example Iarwain clearly stated in the first post that for this topic we would use "power" to represent the magic inherently posessed by elves, valar, maia, etc. and "magic" would reffer to what we have since been calling "occult magic".

Anyways, what's the deal with scattering (sic) through out your quote from me? You could at least put a note at the end saying you added those.

Back to page 3:

Reading the new opinions Dain has brought to this topic, I just had a new idea (by the way, this is ignoring any inate abilities like skin changing). Maybe every person has a certain amount of "power" which, in under most circumstances, is defined by race and lineage. For example:elves would have a lot, hobbits would have next to none, Numenorians would have more than a normal human, Aragorn would have quite a significant amout (being desended from elves and, far down the line, a miai). In order to "harness" that power the would use spells, items or other like things. Let me refraise that: The power would allow them to use certain spells and items. Some items would increase the power by some function (Witch King).