View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So the first and only Half-Elves to die before the decision to choose kindreds is offered to their kind were Elured and Elurin, of whom we know precious little. I always wondered which way the coin flipped in Mandos, but supposed that the old man was pretty cautious about not taking away a mortal's gift, so probably in favour of mortal death.
At least one version of the fall of Doriath implies that the boys *did* survive, in Ossiriand. They could have lived 250-500 years. Presumably they didn't go to Numenor, so if they married it would have been to elves in the Lindon backwoods. That sounds story-disruptive, so I guess they just hung out with Maglor and Daeron instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
But if Half-Elves are mortal by default, what does that make Arwen? Or does her lifespan fit into the 5-times-mortal-length range before she chooses to be mortal? It seems like before death they are immortal by default unless they choose to become mortal, but on death I still can't see Mandos taking away the Gift from them, he would err on the side of offering it unless chosen otherwise.
I think it's explicit in the Silm that Elrond and either his children or his descendents would be given a Choice: they would be immortal until they chose either mortality or otherwise. Thus Arwen was immortal, but could have chosen mortality at any time. Presumably a choice of mortality breeds true (ie Eldarion is just mortal), but I'm not sure if a hypothetical child of Elladan and an elvish wife would be given the same choice.

(I guess it's actually Earendil, Elwing, and their descendants in immortal lineages? Or something. I Don't Have My Books (TM).)

hS