View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 02:32 AM   #90
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Asgon:
Quote:
But let only Asgon to leave Doriath. Or even, let Asgon to leave Nargothrond before the carring of the Hoard. Could be?
Yes, both could be, so I would not believe in Asgon leaving in or even before Nargothrond was reached. But could be is not enough.
What do we know?
Well, near to nothing. We have a very indirect evidence that one of Húrins Band survified at least long enough to tell the story how they essambeld around Húrin and picked up the Hoard. And even that is not sure, since the essambling could simply be deduced from evidence by the author of the Narn (people that left Brethil 'with' Húrin, report about the dead men in Menegroth) and for the death of Mîm there seemed to be other witness, since we hear that this news was brought to Belegost (supposedly by Ibun, Mîm's younger son).
So even if I would ignore the fact that the story could be written without one of the Band survifing, we have no idea who was the survifer nor how he escaped the curse of Mîm and when he left the band and or Húrin.
This means everythink we would put into our text would be invented facts in Middleearth. And that is a thing we shy back from for sure!

About the Girdle: I agree that in this place it is a repeatition for sure, but of how fare back in our text? Anyhow I don't see that as an issue - repeatition are not that uncommon in Tolkiens texts.

Sarn Athrod: Yes, that is exactly teh question we have to answer: Do we use the name or not? My oppinion is yes, but I could go with both answers.

Asasaeg: Neo-Sindarin is a kind of no go for me. I think it is safest to leave the sindarin name out.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote