View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #83
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello. Some commentaries and proposals.

In my opinion, Asgon's Noble Retreat could be included without lacking in inventing anything. Let the reader get a good idea of him, who was not included in Morgoth's curse and was nobler than the rest of the outlaws.

As for Cum-na-Arasaith, Could it not become Haudh-en-Arasaith?

From RD-EX-35 and the whole story of the Dwarves' stay in Menegroth, I think I would be against C..TH's scheme. The Dwarfs should leave and when they start manufacturing again according to RD-EX-37

And it is understood that the evil implications of the Dwarfs as in RD-EX-54 <TN This then was the design; and by his deeds have the Dwarves been severed in feud for ever since those days with the Elves, and drawn more nigh in friendship to the {kin}[following] of {Melko}[Morgoth], must be erases due to the better conception of them in later writings.

My combination proposal from here would be (sorry for the presentation):
Now Naugladur {learnt of that Elf Narthseg, whose name is bitter to the Eldar yet}[knew], that the king would fare a-hunting at the next high moon but one RD-EX-57 {, and straightway he sent the trysted sign, a bloodstained knife, to Bodruith at Belegost}. Now all that host assembled on the confines of the woods, and no word came yet unto the king.
RD-EX-56 <TN Now each year about the time of the great wolf-hunt of Beren {Tinwelint}[Thingol] was wont to keep the memory of that day by a hunt in the woods, and it was a very mighty chase and thronged with very many folk, and nights of merriment and feasting were there in the forest.
RD-EX-59 <TN §309 (§36) Behold now {Tinwelint}[Thingol] the king rode forth a-hunting, … the Necklace of the Dwarves.>
RD-EX-60b Now {is}when the king was {far in the woods with all his company, and the horns {grow}grew faint in the deep forest} [gone], {but }{Gwendelin}[Melian] {sits}sat in her bower {and}but foreboding {is}was in her heart and eyes. Then said an Elfmaid{, Nielthi}: ‘Wherefore, O Lady, art thou sorrowful at the hightide of the king?’ And {Gwendelin}[Melian] said: ‘Evil seeks our land, and my heart misgives me that my days in {Artanor}[Doriath] are speeding to their end, yet if I should lose {Tinwelint}[Thingol] then would I wish never to have wandered forth from Valinor.’ But {Nielthi}the Elfmaid said: ‘Nay, O Lady {Gwendelin}[Melian], hast thou not woven great {magic}[enchantment] all about us, so that we fear not?’ But the queen made answer: ‘Yet meseems editorial change{there is a rat that gnaws} the threads[ are riven] and all the web has come unwoven.’

This could "pre-explain" some better the failure of the Girdle.

RD-EX-62b <QS77 Thus it was that the host of the Naugrim crossing over Aros passed unhindered into the woods of Doriath; {But either this fence} [the Girdle of Melian] had been robbed of its power by the evil within, or Melian had removed it in grief and horror at the deed that had been done> .and none withstood them, for they were many and fierce, and the captains of the Grey-elves were cast into doubt and despair, and went hither and thither purposeless. But the Dwarves held on their way.

In other way, Sarn Athrod is valid as a ford for Ascar?
And I know that in C...TH Tolkien says that the battle occurred at the ford of one of the Seven Rivers of Ossir, but without name... Must we assume that they crossed first the Athrad Daer and then crossed the other ford over the Ascar?
Or maybe they went along the north path (their existence to the south is not clear) and arrived at Ascar?

What do you think?

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote