View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #82
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
With Arvegil145 posting his find of Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ we have to rethink many of our decisions. The greatest im pact has JRR Tolkiens removel of the fight of the Dwarvish smiths after they finished their work in Menegroth. With that Tolkien opened for him self the way back to the fight of the Húrin’s Outlaws against the Thanes of Thingol in Menegroth. As the fate of the outlaws was one of our main issues, this new source gives us a kind of a perfect solution.
But there remain some issues, nonetheless. I will give out first some arguments sorted by our editing marks if a number is missing here it means the decision take of old can stay:
First a general change: Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ specifies that the Nauglamír was made from silver not from gold. I caried that change throught any mention of material in direct connection to the necklace.
RD-SL-03.5: This is not new but an undecided issue: Was the Nauglamír made for Finrod Fealgund and brought to Menegroth by Húrin as a special item of the hoard and there the Dwarves ‘only’ put it together with the Silmaril or was it made by the Dwarves in Menegroth for Thingol specially as a framework for his Silamril? For me the text of Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ does play down the significance of the Silmaril in favor of the dragon-sickness and / or the curse of Mîm. The making of the “Neckless of the Dwarves” is only mentioned in passing, it is neither the object for which Thingol call upon the Dwarves nor in anyway the reason for the strife between Thingol and Dwarves. As we do not know if Text X was earlier or later than Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ we might follow a kind of ‘line of development’:
- In Q30 the Nauglamír is Thingol’s special desire and reason to summon the Dwarves.
- In Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ the Nauglamír is a by product of Thingols disere to have the unwroght metal of the Hoard used for works of Art.
- In Text X the Nauglamír is pre-existing and the Dwarves only but together ‘greatest of the works of Elves and Dwarves’.
That is why I have assume in my text the Nauglamír was pre-existing. But I am still hesitating about it and in the discussion in the books forum the majority seems to lean in the oposit direction or the Nauglamír made for Thingol.
RD-SL-05: Do we use the quarrels on the road at all? I am open both ways here and included it with the necessary changes as an explanation why some (small) part of the hoard was lost on the road. But I am open to skip it completely.
RD-SL-07: In generall there is no change necessary here, but the new source gives some details of the conversation that should be used. Most important may be the fact that Thingol does not send Húrin away.
RD-SL-08: The fight between the Outlaws and the Tahnes of Thingol is now back.
RD-SL-09 & RD-SL-10: The Outlaws are all killed, so there is no question of them taking any part of the Hoard from Menegroth. (I am sad for the Asgon part of the Outlaws – but well over all this is a tragedy, so some victims are to be expected.)
RD-SL-11: Ufedhin is out, that is clear, but Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ gives some new details: Thingol stores the treasure for some time in his deep chamber, but it gnawed his mind – a time that would farther estrange him from his wife after he rejected her counsel to throw it away in the first place.
RD-SL-12: Now we have the exact conditions of the angament: one tithe of the unwrought metals. This makes the statement about the Nauglamír a double edged sword: ‘Albeit a weight beyond belief of gold was used in the making, lightly it hung upon its wearer as a strand of flax …’ At first sight it is ony a praise for the handiwork of the Dwarven smiths, but in view of the ‘contract’ and the strife that developed around it, the Dwarves could have overstated the amount and if not straightforward steeling the overstated gold they could at least countup the promissed tithe.
RD-SL-13: Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ is very compressed, but it does not seem to be Thingol demanding the Nauglamír. I would rather have the Dwarves asking for the bone of working with these two most beautyfull artfacts and Thingol agree to it with some reluctance.
RD-SL-14 - RD-SL-16: In this part I think we should take Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ as our basic text and see what can be added from the other sources. (We might start with that process even earlier.)
RD-SL-17: Now there is not only no battel, but the Dwarves leave Menegroth without payment by their owne choice – some stubbornness is clearly involved here: If we do not get what is our due, we will rather take nothing and come back in force to take the full payment.
RD-SL-18: As the material in UT very late I think the exclusion of the Dwarves from Belegost is still valid.
RD-SL-19: Mîm’s death reappears as an argument in Concerning … ‘The Hoard’, so it should be included.
RD-SL-20: Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ does assist the view that no treachers Elves from Doriath were involved in the planning or actual attack. (Phu, we are lucky not to re-open that discussion!)
RD-SL-21: Thingol is now neither ‘lured outside’ nor ‘induced to go to war beyond his borders’. Instead, the Girdle is simply ineffective due to the bead behavier of the Elves within or removed deliberately! by Melian. This leaves me with a lot of questions, but for our editing I would say we should take up that blank statement and leave it ambiguous which of the two things happen really (making both options opinions of the middle-earth reporters of this tale.) Anyhow we have to deal with Melian. She is not metioned again in Concerning … ‘The Hoard’, so she does not bring the news to Ossiriand, since that done by fugitives. I would even re-establish her talk to Naugladur in Menegroth and the unablility of the Dwarves to molest her in any way.
RD-SL-22: The only detail given in Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ about Thingols death is that it is mentioned last even after the violation of his halls. If we don’t want the Dwarves to execute him after they made him a prisoner, I think Thingol has to be outside Menegroth, when it is attacked. And the way to archive that in the narrative is the celebrational hunt. Thus the details of Thingols death can stay.
RD-SL-22.5: The discussion of the honesty of the Dwarves and going against that by taking the Nauglamír with the Silmaril has of course to be included.
RD-SL-27: The discussion about the ford of the battle and over which river it leads is now settled, but in contrary to our former decision: Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ does tell us that its one of “Seven Rivers of Ossir”. And the Hoard is cast into that river and no other and that river is then re-named signifying “Golden-ded”. So the conclusion from that text is that the battle at the ford was at the Ascar not at the Duin Daer / Gelion. Which must mean we have Athrod Daer, the Great Ford, leading the Dwarve road over Duin Daer / Gelion into Talath Rhúnen above the confluence of Duin Daer and Ascar and a second ford nearer to the Erd Luin leading the road over Ascar into Ossiriand (probably it would only change the side of Ascar on which the road was build, since I beleife strongly that road followed that River into the mountains leading to the pass.) Farther question her: Do we name that second Ford Sarn Athrod, the Stony Ford? The name clearly fits the description of the place of that battle that we still use in our version and is free to be used since the ford over Duin Daer is now named differently. So I would use it.

Let’s try to get a text done. The best process would probably be to go back to my story-line draft, edit that to the actual state of the discussion, then replace part of it by Concerning … ‘The Hoard’, then insert all story related changes we might feel necessary and last expand that text with insertion from older versions. But the story-line draft is from 14 years ago and the process does even in theory look rather long, so I took our latest version, look which part is to be replaced by Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ and then expand that part. For the posting here I stripe the text as much as possible. The editing markers are the old once as far as possible, so that the reference to our old discussions is not lost. I will add some comments to specific changes at the end.
Quote:
§267 (§1a) RD-EX-01 <WH Now it is said that those who {…}/sided/ with Hardang were not all caught, … - each minding his own houselands and little {...}[clearings] and their {...}[confederation] was loosened.>
§268 (§1b) RD-SL-00.5 {Hurin gathered therefore a few outlaws of the woods unto him, … and at his death Mîm cursed the gold.
And the curse came upon the possessors in this wise. … 'thy fee for thy fair keeping of my wife and kin.'
Yet Thingol would not take the hoard, … and so ended the mightiest of the warriors of mortal Men.
Then the enchantment of the accursed dragon gold began to fall even upon the king of Doriath, … whereon to hang the Silmaril.
But the Dwarves coming were stricken at once … Yet also they lusted for the Silmaril.
And Thingol, falling deeper into the thraldom of the spell, … But the remainder of the Dwarves were driven forth without reward or fee.
Therefore gathering new forces in Nogrod and in Belegost they returned at length, … and their twilight was nigh at hand.
Queen Melian the Dwarves could not seize or harm, … the Land of the Dead that Live.
To the north of that region is a ford across the river Ascar, … or so filled with light.
Yet Melian warned them ever of the curse … yet the Silmaril they retained.
And in time the brief hour of the loveliness of the land of Rathlorion departed. … and none know where their meeting shall be again.}<Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ {He gathered a great company of violent outlaws, and they came to Nargothrond and slew Mim, and carried off a great part of the dragon-treasure.} RD-SL-01 <Conclusion of the second draft Manuscript WH; Note 54 But some misliked this and would not serve under {Avranc}[Daruin] and made ready to depart, <WH Note 54 Isolated page end and others there were who {despair}despaired now of defending Brethil from the growing strength of Morgoth and {wish}wished to fly south> and they joined Húrin.> RD-EX-02.7b <WH, Note 54, Text 2 But now Húrin {seems}seemed to pick up strength and youth - vengeance {seems}seemed to have heartened him, and he {[ ] and walks}walked now strongly. They {pass}passed into the woods and {gather}gathered the last fugitives of the wood-men (the kin of the folk of Brethil).> RD-EX-03.1b <WH, Note 54, Text 2 A few men fearing the end of Brethil and desiring to flee further from Morgoth - having no homes or lands of their own {- are}were willing to go with Hurin.>
§269 (§1d) RD-EX-02 <WH, Note 54, Text 2 At the Taeglin crossing they {fall}fell in with Asgon, who {has}had heard rumour of the wild deeds in Brethil, and of Húrin's coming, and {are}was now venturing back into the land to seek him. Asgon {greets}greeted him - and {is}was glad that {Harathor}[Hardang] {has}had been punished. And he was angered {Angered} that no one had told Húrin of their coming.>
§270 (§1e) RD-EX-04 <WH, Note 54, Text 1 {Asgorn}[Asgon] they {choose}chose for captain, but he {treats}treated Húrin as lord, and {does}did as he {will}willed. /And he asked therefore Húrin:/ ‘Whither shall we go? {They}/We/ must {[? }know{]} a place of refuge.’ /And/ Húrin {elects}elected to go to Nargothrond.> RD-EX-02.5b <WH, Note 57
Húrin in Nargothrond
>§271 (§1f) RD-EX-05 <WH, Year 501 of The Grey Annals Of the wanderings of Húrin[ and his men] there is no tale told, until {he}they came at last late in {this}[the] year to Nargothrond. It is said that he had then gathered to him other fugitives and masterless men in the wild, RD-EX-05.3{and}<TT; Note 33 {Now therefore he gathered to him a band of wild men, and} they were waxen a fiercy and lawless folk that dwelt not with their kin, who thrust them into the hills to live or die as they might.> Thus Húrin came south with a following of a hundred or more. … More likely is it that he was drawn thither to discover news of Túrin; to {Brethil}[Doriath] he would not yet come{, nor to Doriath}.> RD-EX-05.5 <WH /And of old /he had been an admirer of Felagund.> RD-EX-06 <QS77 {and}They passed southwards down the ancient road that led to Nargothrond; and {he}they saw far off to the eastward the lonely height of Amon Rûdh, and Húrin knew what had befallen there. At length {he}they came to the banks of Narog, and ventured the passage of the wild river upon the fallen stones of the bridge, as Mablung of Doriath had ventured it before {him}them; and {he}they stood before the broken Doors of Felagund, Húrin leaning upon his staff.>
§272 (§3a) RD-EX-07 <QS77 Here it must be told that <RD-EX-07.3 <WH {News}news of the fall of Nargothrond came to sons of Fëanor, … and letting them run ever through his hands; and he bound them to himself with many spells. RD-EX-07.5 <TT But none had come nigh till then to despoil him, for the terror of the drake lived longer than he, and none had ventured thither again for dread of the very spirit of {Glorund}[Glaurung] the worm.>
§273 (§3b) RD-EX-08 <TT Now therefore when those {Elves}[Men] approached the dwarf stood before the doors of the cave that was once the abode of {Galweg}[Orodreth], and he cried: ‘What will ye with me, O outlaws of the hills?’>
§3c (§274) RD-EX-09 <QS77 But Húrin said: 'Who are you, that would hinder me from entering the house of Finrod Felagund?'
§275 (§4a) QS77 Then the Dwarf answered: 'I am Mîm; and before the proud ones came from over the Sea, Dwarves delved the halls of Nulukkhizdīn. I have but returned to take what is mine; for I am the last of my people.'
RD-EX-08b<TT But {Úrin}[Húrin] answered: 'We come to take what is not thine.' Then said {that dwarf, and his name was }Mîm: 'ORD-EX-09.1{ Úrin}, little did I think to see{ thee,} a lord of Men, with such a rabble. Hearken now to the words of Mîm{ the fatherless}, … and by many a dark spell have I bound it to myself.'
§276 (§4d) TT Then {Úrin}[Húrin] wavered, but his men were wroth at that, so that RD-EX-09.2{he bid them seize it all, and }Mîm {stood by and watched, and he }broke forth into terrible and evil curses.>
RD-EX-11.5d <QS77 'Then you shall enjoy your inheritance no longer,' … the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin was betrayed.'
§278 (§6) QS77 Then Mîm in great fear besought Húrin to take what he would, but to spare his life;> <TT {But Mîm dying} and he said unto {Úrin}[Húrin]: ‘Now Elves and Men {shall}would rue this deed, and because of the death of Mîm the dwarf shall death follow this gold so long as it remain on Earth, and a like fate shall every part and portion share with the whole.’ And {Úrin}[Húrin] shuddered, but his folk laughed.>
§277 (§5) TT Thereat did {Úrin}[Húrin] smite him, saying: ‘We came but to take what was not thine - now for thy evil words we will take what is thine as well, even thy life.’
><Lay of the Children of Húrin The dawn over {Doriath}[Narog] __ dimly kindled {695}

by {an orc-}[a cruel ]arrow __ his {oath}[curse] came home.>
RD-EX-11.52<QS77 Then {he}Húrin entered in, and stayed a while in that dreadful place, … but one thing only.>
RD-EX-11.53 <TT Then {Úrin wavered, but his men were wroth at that, so that he}[Húrin] bid {them}his men seize {it }all the treasure of Nargothrond.>
RD-EX-11.54a<§279 TT Now {Úrin}[Húrin] caused his followers to bear this gold to the halls of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], and they murmured at that, … than all the gold of Valinor can get you in the empty woods.’> Dominated by his will and by fear of him they brought this treasure to Doriath.
RD-EX-11.54b<§280 (§9) TT Now his heart was bitter against {Tinwelint}[Thingol], … and evil has followed its finders for ever.> (§8) RD-SL-05d<Q30 And the curse came upon the possessors in this wise. {Each one}Some of Húrin's company died or {was}were slain in quarrels upon the road; but Húrin went unto Thingol and sought his aid, and the folk of Thingol bore the treasure to the Thousand Caves}on.> RD-EX-11.5 <WH, Note 57
Húrin in Doriath
>§281 (§10a) RD-SL-06b <TT Yet in the end that laden host came to the {bridge before the doors}[border of Doriath], … bearing gifts{,’ and}.’ And when this was done{.}>, <Year 502 of The Grey Annals, WH Húrin {is}was admitted in pity.>
§282 (§10b) RD-EX-12 <TT Then {Úrin}[Húrin] let bear all that magnificence before the king, … and knowest thou what death did {Nienóri}[Niënor] my daughter die?’>
§283 (§11) RD-EX-13 <QS77 Well{well} did {he}[Thingol] understand Húrin's intent; but being filled with pity he restrained his wrath, and endured Húrin's scorn,> RD-EX-13.5 <Q30 and long he bore with Húrin.> RD-EX-14b <TT Then did {Úrin}[Húrin] fiercely tell that tale, … for methinks the lustre of gold is all your heart contains.’>
§284 (§12) Then Húrin bade cast it all at the feet of Thingol, RD-EX-15b <TT uncovering it so that all that court were dazzled and amazed{ – but Úrin's men understood now what was forward and were little pleased}. RD-EX-17b <QS77 {Húrin made no answer to the King, but}And he drew forth from beneath his cloak that one thing which he had taken with him out of Nargothrond; … And Húrin cast it {at the feet of Thingol with wild and bitter words.}>{, and there Húrin cast it }before the feet of King Thingol in a proud gesture of scorn, saying that as “the Lord of the House of Hador” (Húrin) vowed not be beholden to an elf-King for the fostering of his son, nor the harbouring of his wife and daughter. ‘Here is your fee! More than enough, maybe, for services so meanly performed; RD-EX-17d <QS77 {For}for this is the Nauglamír, whose name is known to many among Elves and Men, RD-EX-15d <TT bought by the death of {Nienóri}[Niënor] with the blood of Túrin slayer of the worm.>{and} And I bring it to thee … to fulfil the errand of Thingol of Doriath! RD-EX-15e <TT Take it, O craven king, and be glad that some Men be brave to win thee riches.> {but}But hold me now out of your debt and friendship!’
§286 (§16) Thingol was amazed at the insult, but answered with patience and courtesy, saying he wished for no ending of friendship with Húrin, whose name was honoured among Elves and Men for his great valour in the last Great Battle, and near all Elves and Men had been rather in his debt ever since. But Húrin laughed in contempt and went out, unmolested, into the night{.} RD-SL-07b <QS77 {then he turned away, and passed out from the Thousand Caves}, and all that saw him fell back before his face; and none sought to withstand his going, nor did any know whither he went>RD-SL-07c <Q30; {and}but some have said that he cast himself at last into the western sea, and so ended the mightiest of the warriors of mortal Men. RD-EX-19 But<TT his words living after him bred estrangement between Elves and Men.> RD-EX-21b <WH
The Nauglamír
Necklace of the Dwarves
>{But even as he did so, Thingol looked at the hoard and the dragon-curse began to work upon him, and upon all there who gazed at the treasure.} §287 (§17a) RD-EX-20 <TN {'Behold then,' said Ailios, 'in}In great grief gazed the king upon {Úrin}[Húrin] as he left the hall, … already were all who looked upon it touched by its subtle evil.
§288 (§17b) RD-EX-20.1 <TN Now therefore did {those}[many] of {Úrin}[Húrin]'s band murmur,> {The}the outlaws, released from the presence of Húrin, claimed that it was theirs, won by their weapons and labour.{ Fighting broke out, even in the inviolable halls of Thingol.}RD-SL-08b <TN {and}And one said to the king: 'Lo, lord, our captain {Úrin}[Húrin], an old man and mad, has departed, but we have no mind to forego our gain.'
§289 (§18) TN Then said {Tinwelint}[Thingol] for neither was he untouched by the golden spell: … and Túrin was my man.’
(§19) At those words the outlaws fell into great wrath, … and then depart in peace.’
§290 (§20} Now were the Elves of the wood in turn displeased, … so that soon there was a great fight even upon the steps of the high-seat of the king.
Doughty were those outlaws … summoned a host of his warriors, and those outlaws RD-EX-20.2{being wildered with the stronger magics of the king' and confused in the dark ways of the halls of Tinwelint }were all slain fighting bitterly; … Thus did the curse of Mîm the Dwarf RD-EX-20.25{begin}follow its course; and yet another sorrow sown by the {Noldoli}[Noldor] of old in Valinor was come to fruit.
Then were the bodies of the RD-EX-20.3{outlaws cast forth, but the woodland Elves that were }slain {Tinwelint let bury}buried nigh to the knoll of Tinuviel,> RD-EX-20.4<Q30 and the howe wherein they were laid in Doriath was named Cum-nan-Arasaith, the Mound of Avarice.>
§291 (§22) RD-EX-22 <TN Now came {Gwenniel}[Melian] to {Tinwelint}[Thingol] and said: ‘Touch not this gold, for my heart tells me it is trebly cursed. Cursed indeed by the dragon's breath RD-EX-23b , and cursed by thy lieges' blood that moistens it, and the death of those they slew; but some more bitter and more binding ill methinks hangs over it that I may not see.’
§292 (§23) RD-EX-24 TN Then, remembering the wisdom of {Gwenniel}[Melian] his wife, … Now such mighty heaps of gold RD-EX-26b <editorial addition based on Conncerning … ‘The Hoard’ and silver >have never since been gathered in one place; and some thereof was wrought to cups, to basons, and to dishes, and hilts there were for swords, and scabbards, and sheaths for daggers; but RD-EX-26c the most part was of red gold <editorial addition based on Conncerning … ‘The Hoard’ and pale silver >unwrought lying in masses and in bars. The value of that hoard no man could count, for amid the gold lay many gems, and these were very beautiful to look upon, for RD-EX-27 {the fathers of the Rodothlim}[the people of Finarfin] had brought with them out of Valinor a portion of that boundless treasury the {Noldoli}[Noldor] had there possessed.>
§293 (§24a) RD-EX-28 <TN Now as he gazed {Tinwelint}[Thingol] said: ‘How glorious is this treasure! And{ I have not a tithe thereof, and} of the gems of Valinor I have none save that Silmaril that Beren won from {Angamandi}[Angband].’ But {Gwenniel}[Melian] who stood by said: ‘And that were worth all that here lies, were it thrice as great.’>
RD-EX-29.1<Q30 Then the enchantment of the accursed dragon gold began to fall even upon the king of Doriath, and long he sat and gazed upon it, and the seed of the love of gold that was in his heart was waked to growth.> {Blood was spilled on either side, but in the end all the outlaws were slain and }Thingol then had the treasure locked in a deep chamber. But it gnawed his mind, for the most of the treasure that had been brought from Nargothrond was in gold and silver yet unwrought, and he lusted specially for the silver, thinking what might be done with it. At last in an unhappy hour he {sent for the Dwarves of the Mountains to the east from Belegost and Nogrod.} RD-EX-29b <TN {Wherefore he }summoned the greatest of all craftsmen that now were in the western world, since Nargothrond was no more (and Gondolin was not known), the Dwarves of Nogrod{ and Belegost}, that they might fashion the gold and silver and the gems (for much was yet unwrought) into countless vessels and fair things{; and a marvellous necklace of great beauty they should make, whereon to hang the Silmaril}.> With them he had dealings and some friendship, and long ago they had helped in the building of his grand underground halls and palace.
§295 (§26) RD-EX-31 <QS77 In those days the Dwarves still came on their journeys into Beleriand … but in great companies well armed for their protection in the perilous lands between Aros and {Gelion}[Duin Daer] RD-EX-32b {; and they dwelt in Menegroth at such times in chambers and smithies set apart for them}. At that{ very} time> {The}the Dwarves sent emissaries, and they gazed on the treasure in amazement. After bargaining they agreed to send their best smiths to work at Thingol’s orders but at the price of one tithe of the unwrought metals. {The smiths came and laboured long, } RD-EX-32.1<Q30
§296 (§27) But the Dwarves coming were stricken at once with the lust and desire of the treasure{,}. RD-EX-40.2b <QS77 Then the Dwarves looked upon the Nauglamír the work of their fathers, and they beheld with wonder the shining jewel of Fëanor; and they were filled with a great lust to possess them, and carry them off to their far homes in the mountains. But they dissembled their mind, and consented to the task> {and}but they plotted treachery. They said one to another: 'Is not this wealth as much the right of the Dwarves as of the elvish king, and was it not wrested evilly from Mîm?' RD-EX-34.5b Yet also they lusted for the Silmaril.>RD-EX-35<TN But as yet {the}their <editorial bridge treacherous> designs{ of Ufedhin} came to nought, for in no wise would {Tinwelint}[Thingol] suffer {or him or those of} the {Nauglath}[Naugrim] to depart to Nogrod with or without {that}[any] portion of the unwrought gold that yet remained, and he said: ‘How shall it be thought that after the weariness of your{ burdened} journeys hither … and a reward rich and more than just awaits you at the end.’>
§297 (§28a) RD-EX-36b <TN But {they}[the Dwarves] knew nonetheless that they were prisoners, and trying the exits privily found them strongly warded. Being therefore without counsel they bowed before the king, and the faces of the Dwarf-folk show seldom what they think. Now after a time of rest was that{ last} smithying begun in a deep place of {Tinwelint}[Thingol]'s abode which he caused to be set apart for their uses{, and what their hearts lacked therein fear supplied, and in all that work Ufedhin had a mighty part}.>
§298 (§28c) RD-EX-37 <TN A golden crown {they}the Dwarves made for {Tinwelint}[Thingol], … wherein was pictured clear the wolf-hunt of {Karkaras Knife-fang, father of}[Carcharoth, the Red Maw greatest of all] wolves. RD-EX-38 {That was a more wonderful sword than any Tinwelint had seen before, and outshone the sword in Ufedhin's belt the king had coveted. These things wereof Ufedhin's cunning, but}And the Dwarves made a coat of linked mail of steel and gold … and no tale tells a full count of them.>
§299 (§28d) RD-EX-39c <TN Now {come}came the Dwarves{ nonetheless over the bridge and} before the chair of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], … In other wise had {Úrin}[Húrin] haled the treasure thither{, and half thereof lay yet} in his rude sacks and clumsy chests; … for the things the {Nauglath}[Naugrim] had made were{ more} wondrous{ far than the scanty vessels and the ornaments that the Rodothlim wrought of old}. Cups and goblets did the king behold, … that {Tinwelint}[Thingol] was glad beyond the hope of {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves].
>{and among other marvellous works they made the renowned “Necklace of the Dwarves”, of silver, upon which was set in the middle the peerless Silmaril that Beren and Lúthien had won from the Iron Crown of the Dark Lord.} RD-EX-40b <TN Now when all was done and their smithcraft given to the king, then said {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves]: ‘O {Tinwelint}[Thingol], richest of kings, dost thou think these things fair?’ And he said: ‘Yea’; but {Ufedhin}they said: ‘Know then that great store of thy best and purest {gold}[silver] remaineth still, for we have husbanded it having a boon to ask of thee, and it is this: we would re-make thee {a}that carcanet thou holds and to its re-making lay all the skill and cunning that we have, and we desire that this should be the most marvellous ornament that the Earth has seen, and the greatest of the works of Elves and Dwarves. Therefore we beg of thee to let us have that Silmaril that thou treasurest, that it may shine wondrously amid the {Nauglafring}[Nauglamír], the Necklace of the Dwarves.’
Then again did {Tinwelint}[Thingol] doubt {Ufedhin's}[their] purpose{,}. RD-EX-30c <QS77 But {when Húrin was gone from Menegroth, }Thingol sat long in silence, gazing upon the great treasure{ that lay upon his knees; and it came into his mind that it should be remade, and in it should be set the Silmaril}. For as the years passed Thingol’s thought turned unceasingly to the jewel of Fëanor, and became bound to it, and he liked not to let it rest even behind the doors of his inmost treasury; and he was minded now to bear it with him always, waking and sleeping.> RD-EX-29b <TN Again looked {Tinwelint}[Thingol] upon the {gold}[silver], and it shone yet more alluring fair, nor ever had the sparkle of the gems seemed so brilliant, and {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves] said again: "Or in what manner, O King, dost thou guard that Silmaril of which all the world hath heard?"
Now {Gwenniel}[Melian] warded it in a casket of wood bound with iron, and {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves] said it was shame so to set a jewel that should not touch aught less worthy than the purest {gold}[silver]. Then was {Tinwelint}[Thingol] abashed, and yielded> {yet did he yield} the boon, an they would suffer him to be present at that smithying.> RD-EX-36.5b <QS77 Long was their labour; and Thingol went down alone to their deep smithies, and sat ever among them as they worked.>
§300 (§28f) RD-EX-42 <TN {None are that yet live,' quoth Ailios,' 'who have seen that most glorious thing, save only' Littleheart son of Bronweg, yet are many things told thereof.}[Many things were told of that most glorious thing.] Not only was it wrought with the greatest skill and subtlety in the world … Albeit a weight beyond belief of {gold}[silver] was used in the making, … Gems uncounted were there in that carcanet of {gold}[silver], yet only as a setting that did prepare for … the Silmaril of Fëanor, jewel of the {Gods}[Valar]. Yet alas, even had that {gold}[hoard] of {the Rodothlim}[Nargothrond] held no evil spell still had that carcanet been a thing of little luck, for the Dwarves were full of bitterness, and all its links were twined RD-EX-42.5 anew with baleful thoughts.>
But as their work progressed Thingol began to regret the bargain, and in particular he saw that if the tithe was paid in full, not enough would remain for the making of a thing upon which he had now set his spell-distraught heart, and a double throne of silver and gems for himself and Melian the Queen.
§301 (§28g) RD-EX-43 <TN Now however did {they}the Dwarves bear {it}the Nauglamír before the king in its new-gleaming splendour; and then was the joy of {Tinwelint}[Thingol] king of the woodland Elves come to its crowning, and he cast the {Nauglafring}[Nauglamír] about his throat, and straightway the curse of Mîm fell upon him. Then said {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves]: ‘Now, O Lord, that thou art pleased beyond thy hope, perchance thou wilt grant the craftsmen thy kingly reward, and suffer them to depart also in joy to their own lands.’>
§302 (§28h) RD-EX-44 <TN But {Tinwelint}[Thingol], bewildered by the golden spell and the curse of Mîm, liked not the memory of his tryst; yet dissembling he bid the craftsmen come before him, and he praised their handiwork with royal words.> RD-EX-44.1 <Q30 And Thingol, falling deeper into the thraldom of the spell, for his part scanted his promised reward for their labour{;}>{When the Dwarves had ended their work he [[† demurred?]]}, offering less than the tithe; or demanding at least that the throne should be made and other treasure given in stead of the silver required.
The Dwarves were angered, all the more because they had themselves come under the dragon-spell. They rejected Thingol’s terms, and refused anything less than the full tithe of treasure of Nargothrond{.}, RD-EX-46c<Q30 and bitter words grew between them[ and Thingol].<QS77 {;but}And the Dwarves in that moment {withheld it from him, and} demanded that he yield {it}[the treasure of Nargothrond and the Nauglamír] up to them, saying: ‘By what right does the Elvenking lay claim to the Nauglamír, that was made by our fathers for Finrod Felagund who is dead? It has come to him but by the hand of Húrin the Man of Dor-lómin, who took it as a thief out of the darkness of Nargothrond.’ But Thingol perceived their hearts, and saw well that desiring the [treasure and the] Silmaril they sought but a pretext and fair cloak for their true intent; and in his wrath and pride he gave no heed to his peril, but spoke to them in scorn, saying: 'How do ye of uncouth race dare to demand aught of me, Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand, whose life began by the waters of Cuiviénen years uncounted ere the fathers of the stunted people awoke?' And standing tall and proud among them he bade them with shameful words be gone unrequited out of Doriath.> Unpaid they departed in wrath.
{Back in their mountains’ strongholds they plotted revenge, and not long after they came down with a great force and invaded Doriath.} §304 (§30} RD-EX-49 <TN Now tells the tale that the {Nauglath}[Naugrim] fared home again, and if their greed had been kindled when first RD-EX-50 <editorial addition they saw> the gold{ was brought to Nogrod} now was it a fierce flame of desire, and moreover they burnt under the insults of the king. Indeed all that folk love gold and silver more dearly than aught else on Earth, while that treasury was haunted by a spell and by no means were they armed against it. RD-EX-51b {Now one there had been, Fangluin the aged, who had Counselled them from the first never to return the king's loan, for said he: ‘Ufedhin we may later seek by guile to release, if it seem good,’ but}But at that time this seemed not policy to Naugladur their lord, who desired not warfare with the Elves. Yet now did Fangluin[Footnote to the text: Fangluin: Bluebeard.]<moved from above the aged> jeer at {them}the Smiths mightily{ on their return}, saying they had flung away their labour for {a botcher's wage and a draught of wine}[nothing] and gotten dishonour thereto, and he played upon their lust{, and Ufedhin joined his bitter words thereto}. Therefore did Naugladur hold a secret council of the Dwarves of Nogrod, and sought how he might both be avenged upon {Tinwelint}[Thingol], and sate his greed.>
§305 (§31) Yet after long pondering … nor indeed could any such come thither RD-SL-20 { unaided by treachery from within}.
§306 (§32) RD-SL-19 <TN Now even as those aged ones sat in their dark halls and gnawed their beards, behold a sound of horns, and messengers were come from {Bodruith of the Indrafangs, a kindred of the Dwarves that dwelt in other realms}[Belegost]. Now these brought tidings of the death of Mîm{ the fatherless} at the hand of {Úrin}[Húrin] and the rape of {Glorund}[Glaurung]’s gold, which tale had but new come to {Bodruith's}[their] ears. Now hitherto the Dwarves knew not the full tale concerning that hoard, nor more than RD-EX-53.2 {Ufedhin}[the Elves] might tell hearing the speech in {Tinwelint}[Thingol]'s halls, and {Úrin}[Húrin] had not spoken the full count thereof ere he departed. Hearing therefore these tidings new wrath was added to their lust and a clamour arose among them, and RD-EX-53.5 <Q&E {Indeed}indeed it was one of their grievances <editorial addition of old> against the Eldar that they had hunted and slain their lesser kin, who had settled in Beleriand before the Elves came there.><editorial addition Therefore> Naugladur vowed to rest not ere Mîm was thrice avenged - ‘and, more,’ said he, ‘me seems the gold belongs of right to the people of the Dwarves.’>
§307 (§33) RD-EX-54 <TN This then was the design; and by his deeds have the Dwarves been severed in feud for ever since those days with the Elves, and drawn more nigh in friendship to the {kin}[following] of {Melko}[Morgoth]. Secretly he let send {to the Indrafangs}[the messengers back] RD-SL-18 asking <QS77 aid from Belegost, but it was denied {them}him, and the Dwarves of Belegost sought to dissuade {them}him from {their}his purpose>, because they <Unfinished Tales; Galadriel and Celeborn were filled with dismay at the calamity and fear for its outcome>{ that they}RD-EX-55 . <editorial addition But the Dwarves of Nogrod>{ prepare}prepared their host against a day that {he}[Naugladur] would name, whenso the time should be ripe; and a hidden forging of bitter steel then was in [Nogrod.]{Belegost the dwelling of the Indrafangs.}>
§308 (§34) RD-EX-56 <TN Now each year about the time of the great wolf-hunt of Beren {Tinwelint}[Thingol] was wont to keep the memory of that day by a hunt in the woods, and it was a very mighty chase and thronged with very many folk, and nights of merriment and feasting were there in the forest. Now Naugladur {learnt of that Elf Narthseg, whose name is bitter to the Eldar yet}[knew], that the king would fare a-hunting at the next high moon but one RD-EX-57 {, and straightway he sent the trysted sign, a bloodstained knife, to Bodruith at Belegost}. Now all that host assembled on the confines of the woods, and no word came yet unto the king.>RD-SL-21 <moved from below The dwarf-host entered Doriath.> This had before been impossible, because of the Girdle of Melian, an invisible fence maintained by the power and will through which no one with evil intent could pass. But either this fence had been robbed of its power by the evil within, or Melian had removed it in grief and horror at the deed that had been done. {The dwarf-host entered Doriath and most of Thingol’s warriors perished. His halls were violated and he himself slain.} RD-EX-62b <QS77 Thus it was that the host of the Naugrim crossing over Aros passed unhindered into the woods of Doriath; and none withstood them, for they were many and fierce, and the captains of the Grey-elves were cast into doubt and despair, and went hither and thither purposeless. But the Dwarves held on their way. RD-EX-59 <TN
§309 (§36) Behold now {Tinwelint}[Thingol] the king rode forth a-hunting, … the Necklace of the Dwarves.>
§311 (§37b) RD-EX-60b Now {is}when the king was far in the woods with all his company, and the horns {grow}grew faint in the deep forest, {but }{Gwendelin}[Melian] {sits}sat in her bower {and}but foreboding {is}was in her heart and eyes. Then said an Elfmaid{, Nielthi}: ‘Wherefore, O Lady, art thou sorrowful at the hightide of the king?’ And {Gwendelin}[Melian] said: ‘Evil seeks our land, and my heart misgives me that my days in {Artanor}[Doriath] are speeding to their end, yet if I should lose {Tinwelint}[Thingol] then would I wish never to have wandered forth from Valinor.’ But {Nielthi}the Elfmaid said: ‘Nay, O Lady {Gwendelin}[Melian], hast thou not woven great {magic}[enchantment] all about us, so that we fear not?’ But the queen made answer: ‘Yet meseems editorial change{there is a rat that gnaws} the threads[ are riven] and all the web has come unwoven.’ Even at that word there was a cry about the doors, and suddenly it grew to a fierce noise{ ...}, strengthened by the clash of steel. RD-EX-63.5b Then went {Gwendelin}[Melian] unafraid forth from her bower, and behold, a sudden multitude of {Orcs and Indrafangs}[Naugrim] held the bridge, and there was war within the cavernous gates; but that place ran with blood, and a great heap of slain lay there, for the onset had been secret and all unknown.
§313 (§39) RD-EX-64c Then did {Gwendelin}[Melian] know well that her foreboding was true, and that {treachery}[doom] had found her realm at last, yet did she hearten those few guards that remained to her and had fared not to the hunt, and valiantly they warded the palace of the king until the tide of numbers bore them back {[}and{]} fire and blood found all the halls and deep ways of that great fortress of the Elves.
§314 (§40a) RD-EX-65c Then did those{ Orcs and} Dwarves ransack all the chambers seeking for treasure, and lo! one came and sate him in the high seat of the king laughing loud, and {Gwendelin}when he saw {that it was Ufedhin, and}[Melian] mocking he bid her be seated in her ancient seat beside the king's. Then {Gwendelin}[Melian] gazed upon him so that his glance fell, and she said: "Wherefore{, O renegade,} dost thou defile my lord's seat? Little had I thought to see {any of the Elves}anyone sit there, a robber, stained with murder, a league-fellow of the truceless enemies of his kin. Or thinkest thou it is a glorious deed to assail an ill-armed house what time its lord is far away?" But {Ufedhin}[the Dwarf] said nought, shunning the bright eyes of {Gwendelin}[Melian], wherefore said she anew: "Get thee now gone with thy foul {Orcs}[comrades], lest {Tinwelint}[Thingol] coming repay thee bitterly."
Then at last did {Ufedhin}[the dwarf] answer, … but the necklace of all wonder was clasped about the throat of Naugladur.
Then did {Gwendelin}[Melian] see in her heart all that had befallen, and how the curse of the gold had fallen on the realm of {Artanor}[Doriath], and never has she danced or sung since that dark hour; but Naugladur bid gather all things of gold or silver or of precious stones and bear them to Nogrod - ‘and{ whatso remains of goods or folk may the, Orcs keep, or slay, as they desire. Yet} the Lady {Gwendelin}[Melian] Queen of {Artanor}[Doriath] shall fare with me.’
Then said {Gwendelin}[Melian]: ‘Thief and murderer{, child of Melko}, yet art thou a fool, … and she read by her {fay}[devine]-wisdon the curse of Mîm and much of what would yet betide.
Then did Naugladur in his triumph laugh … and now did there seem to her neither beauty nor joy be it in Valinor or in the Lands Without. RD-SL-22b Many of the scattered Elves in her wayward journeyings she met, … nonetheless must ye know how even in the hour that {Ufedhin's}[the dwarfish] host brake the palace and despoiled it, and other companies as great and as terrible of the {Orcs and Indrafangs}[Naugrim] fell with death and fire upon all the realm of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], behold the brave hunt of the king were resting amid mirth and laughter{, but Huan stalked apart}. Then suddenly were the woods filled with noise{ and Huan bayed aloud}; but the king and his company were all encircled with armed foes. … and {Mablung and} the king[‘s thanes] fell{ side} by[ his] side - but RD-SL-23 <TN, Note 12 {Against this sentence my father wrote a direction that the story was to be that} the {Nauglafring}[Nauglamír] caught in the bushes and held the king>, and Naugladur it was who swept off the head of {Tinwelint}[Thingol] {after he was dead}, for {living}[so long as Thingol could fight] he dared not so near to his bright sword{ or the axe of Mablung}.> RD-EX-59.5 <QS77 So died{ in the deep places of Menegroth} Elwë Singollo, King of Doriath, … with his last sight gazed upon the Silmaril.>
RD-EX-59.55 <Q30 Thus was the fortress of the Thousand Caves taken at unawares and plundered.> According to dwarf-honesty, however, nothing was taken of all his treasures, save the hoard of Nargothrond. This the Dwarves had claimed: part as bargained pay, part as recompense for broken troth, and the need to make a great expedition to obtain their rights. Also (they now urged) the treasure had been taken with violence and murder from a Dwarf (though Mîm was not in fact akin to the Dwarves of the eastern mountains).
RD-EX-59.56 {The great necklace was taken from Thingol as he lay dead. Then}But the Dwarves departed from their “honesty” in spite of the warning of the wisest among them.<moved from above The great necklace was taken from Thingol as he lay dead.> They lusted for the peerless and supremely powerful gem, and under the plea that it would ruin their handiwork to remove it from the Necklace they carried it off.{ Then the Dwarves were routed. The gold and silver was cast into the river, which hereafter bore a new name, signifying “Golden-bed”.}RD-EX-59.57 <Q30 So{so} was brought well nigh to ruin the glory of Doriath, and but one stronghold of the Elves against Morgoth now remained, and their twilight was nigh at hand.
§316 (§43a) Now the Dwarf-road to Nogrod and Belegost … Elves called it oft {Gwenh-i-cuina }[Dor Firn-i-Guinar], the Land of the Dead that Live RD-EX-66 <QS77 ; and their son Dior Eluchíl had to wife Nimloth, kinswoman of Celeborn, prince of Doriath, who was wedded to the Lady Galadriel;><Shibboloth and beside one great waterfall, called in Sindarin Lanthir Lamath ('waterfall of echoing voices'), Dior had his house.><Ros Dior{ their son}, it is said, spoke both tongues: his father's <editorial addition , the Bëorian of Dorthonion>, and his mother's, … the name Elwë (Sindarin Elu) was believed to be and probably was drived from el 'star'.> RD-EX-67 <TN {and Auredhir was}And [Eluréd and Elurín ]were most like to {his}their forefather Beren, and all loved {him}them, … seeing the great loveliness of the {elfin}[elven] folk of yore.>
§317 (§43b) To the north of that region {is}was a ford across the {river Gelion}[Duin Daer], near to its joining with Ascar that falls in torrents from the mountains; and that ford is named {Sarn-athrad}[Athrad Daer], the [Great ]Ford{ of Stones}. This ford the Dwarves must past ere they reached the mountain passes that led unto their homes{ and there Beren fought his last fight, warned of their approach by Melian}.>
Fugitives from Doriath brought news to Beren in Ossiriand, especially of the rape of the Silmaril. {He gathered a force and waylaid the Dwarves on their return march, at a ford across one of “Seven Rivers of Ossir”.} RD-EX-70b <TN Indeed the tale tells that even as that host of {the Orcs}[dwarves] were burning all the land of {Tinwelint}[Thingol] and{ the Nauglath and the Indrafangin} were wending homeward burdened utterly with spoils of gold and precious things, came {Huan}[these fugutives] to Beren's lodge, and it was dusk. Lo, Beren sat upon a tree root and Tinúviel danced on a green sward in the gloaming as he gazed upon her, when suddenly stood {Huan}[the fugitives] before them, and Beren gave a cry of {joy and wonder, for it was long since he and Huan had hunted together}[surprice] {But}but Tinúviel looking upon {Huan}[them] saw that {he}they bled, and there was a tale to read in {his great}their eyes. And {she}Lúthien said suddenly: ‘What evil then has fallen upon {Artanor}[Doriath]?’ and {Huan}they said: ‘Fire and death and the terror of {Orcs}[war]; but Thingol is slain.’>
§319 (§45 & §46a) <TN Then did both Beren and Tinúviel weep bitter tears; nor did the full tale of {Huan}[the fugitives] dry their eyes. … sprang as it were by {magic}[a spell] towards him from{ every} glade and coppice, stream and fell.>
§320 (§46b) <TN Now not even Beren knew the tale of those{ myriad} folk … the {host}[small company] assembled in the glade of his abiding {was very}[seemed] great [enough to him], … but at dawn he followed at the head of the green Elves, RD-EX-71 <QS77 and summoning to him Dior his son he left Tol Galen and they went north to the River Ascar.> {and}But Tinúviel abode in the glade and wept unto herself for the death of {Tinwelint} [Thingol], and {Gwendelin}[Melian] also she mourned as dead.>
§321 (§46c) <TN Now is to tell that the laden host … and Naugladur was at their head>. RD-EX-72 <TN {Now tells the tale that he fell in with}And the rangers of Beren's folk{, and these gaining from him}gained sure knowledge of all the host … he purposed to follow, and they sped back … unto their lord;{ but Ufedhin revealed not to them who he was, … he brought safe word,} and he set a trap for Naugladur. RD-EX-73 { No longer did he march hotly on the trail of the Dwarves, but knowing} Knowing that they would essay the passage of the river {Aros}[Ascar] at a certain time he turned aside, faring swiftly with his light-footed Elves by straighter paths that he might reach {Sarnathrod}[Sanr Athrod] the Stony Ford before them. Now the {Aros}[Ascar] is a fierce stream RD-EX-74 { - and is it not that very water that more near its spring runs swiftly past the aged doors of the Rodothlim's caves and the dark lairs of Glorund' -} and in those lower regions by no means {can}could be crossed by a great host of laden men save at this ford, nor {is}was it overeasy here. … he was in haste to reach Nogrod and its dark caverns{, for the Dwarves list not long to abide in the bright light of day}.>
§322 (§46d) <TN Now came all that host to the banks of {Aros}[Ascar], … amidmost the great company of those that bore the treasury of {Glorund}[Glaurung]{, and many a fair thing beside that they had haled from Tinwelint's halls}; and behind these was Naugladur{, and he bestrode Tinwelint's horse, and a strange figure did he seem, for the legs of the Dwarves are short and crooked, but two Dwarves led that horse for it went not willingly and it was laden with spoil}. But behind {these}him came … they sought to cross {Sarnathrod}[Sarn Athrod] on their day of doom.>
§323 (§46e) <TN Morn was it … Now did Naugladur{ slip from his burdened horse and} prepare to get him over, … but the armed men of the rear were resting awhile.>
§324 (§46f) <TN Suddenly {is}was all that place filled with the sound of {elfin}[elvish] horns, and one {...}[brayed] with a clearer blast above the rest, and it {is}was the horn of Beren, the huntsman of the woods. Then {is}was the air thick with the slender arrows of the Eldar … but many were stricken with those pitiless darts and fell with their gold into the currents of the {Aros}[Ascar], staining its clear waters with their dark blood.>
§325 (§47) <TN Now were the warriors on the far bank {[? }wrapped{]} in battle and rallying sought to come at their foes, but these fled nimbly before them> RD-EX-75 <QS77 eastwards towards the mountains. And as they {climbed the long slopes beneath Mount Dolmed}<editorial change entered the woods on the further bank> there came forth the Shepherds of the Trees, and they drove the Dwarves into the shadowy woods of Ered Lindon: whence, it is said, came never one to climb the high passes that led to their homes.> RD-EX-76 <TN Now was that {great }fight of the Stony Ford{ ......} nigh to Naugladur>. In that battle the Green Elves took the Dwarves unawares … and the Dwarvish chiefs were slain, and well nigh all their host{.}, RD-EX-77 <TN for even though Naugladur and his captains led their bands stoutly never might they grip their foe, and death fell like rain upon their ranks RD-EX-77.5 <TN , for {[?}others{]} poured still the hail of arrows upon them, and thus got the Eldar few hurts and the Dwarf-folk fell dead unceasingly> until the most part broke and fled, … filled them with mirth.>
§326 (§48) <TN But now stood Naugladur and few were about him, and he remembered the words of {Gwendelin}[Melian], for behold, Beren came towards him and he cast aside his bow, and drew a bright sword; and Beren was of great stature{ among the Eldar}, albeit not of the girth and breadth of Naugladur of the Dwarves.>
§327 (§49) <TN Then said Beren: ‘Ward thy life an thou canst, … but Beren called even as he fought that all should stay their hands.>
§328 (§50} <TN Now little doth the tale tell of wounds and blows of that affray, … by reason of the {[?}skill{]} and magic of his {dwarfen}[dwarven] mail; … and he thought: ‘I will slay this {Elf}[Man], and his folk will flee in fear before me,’ … But the body of Naugladur was cast into the {Aros}[Ascar].>
§329 (§51a) <TN Then did he unloose the necklace, … but bore it with him back into the woods of {Hithlum}[Ossiriand].> RD-SL-27 <QS77 And when all was finished the treasure of {Doriath}[Nargothrond] was drowned in the River Ascar, and from that time the river was named anew, {Rathlóriel}[Rathmallen], the Goldenbed.>
§330 (§51b) RD-EX-79 <TN {But}And the waters of {Aros}[Ascar] flowed on {for ever} above the drowned hoard of {Glorund}[Glaurung]{, and so do still}, for in after days Dwarves came from Nogrod and sought for it, and for the body of Naugladur; but a flood arose from the mountains and therein the seekers perished; and so great now {is}was the gloom and dread of that Stony Ford that none {seek}sought the treasure that it {guards}guarded nor {dare}dared ever to cross the{ magic} stream at that enchanted place.>
§331 (§51c) {But Beren rescued the Necklace and the Silmaril. Lúthien wore it, until ere long she and Beren passed away and were heard of no more in Middle Earth.}> RD-EX-79b <TN But Beren took the Nauglamír, the Necklace of the Dwarves, whereon was hung the Silmaril{;}. RD-EX-80 <TN {But}And in the vales of {Hithlum}[Ossiriand] was there gladness at the homecoming of the Elves, and great was the joy of Tinuviel to see her lord once more returning amidst his {companies}[company], but little did it ease her grief … remembering the first days of their love and those days of travail in the wild{.}, RD-EX-80.1 <Q30 and it is said and sung that Lúthien wearing that necklace and that immortal jewel on her white breast was the vision of greatest beauty and glory that has ever been seen outside the realms of Valinor{, and that for a while the Land of the Dead that Live became like a vision of the land of the Gods, and no places have been since so fair, so fruitful, or so filled with light}.>
RD-EX-81b <TN {Now is it to be said that Beren sent for Ufedhin and well rewarded him for his words of true guidance whereof the Dwarves had been overcome, and he bid him dwell in.... among his folk, and Ufedhin was little loth; yet on a time, no}No great space thereafter{, did that thing betide which he least desired. For} came there a sound of very sorrowful singing in the woods, and behold, it was {Gwendelin}[Melian] wandering distraught, and her feet bore her to the midmost of a glade where sat Beren and Tinuviel; and at that hour it was new morning, but at the sound all nigh ceased their speaking and were very still. Then did Beren gaze in awe upon {Gwendelin}[Melian], but Tinuviel cried suddenly in sorrow mixed with joy: "O mother {Gwendelin}[Melian], whither do thy feet bear thee, for methought thee dead"; but the greeting of those twain upon the greensward was very sweet.{ And Ufedhin fled from among the Elves, for he could not endure to look upon the eyes of Gwendelin, and madness took him, and none may say what was his unhappy weird thereafter; and little but a tortured heart got he from the Gold of Glorund.}
§332 (§51d) Now {hearing the cries of Ufedhin Gwendelin}[Melian] looked in wonder{ after him, and stayed her tender words; and memory came back into her eyes so that}, and she cried as in amaze beholding the Necklace of the Dwarves that hung about the white throat of Tinúviel. Then wrathfully she asked of Beren what it might portend, and wherefore he suffered the accursed thing to touch Tinúviel; {and}then told Beren all that tale {such as Huan had told him, in deed or guess, and }of the pursuit and fighting at the ford{ he told also}, saying at the end: ‘Nor indeed do I see who, now that Lord {Tinwelint}[Thingol] is fared to Valinor, should so fittingly wear that jewel of the {Gods}[Valar] as Tinúviel.’ But {Gwendelin}[Melian] told of the dragon's ban upon the gold and the {[? }staining{]} of blood in the king's halls, ‘and yet another and more potent curse, whose arising I know not, is woven therewith,’ said she, ‘nor methinks was the labour of the Dwarves free from spells of the most enduring malice.’ But Beren laughed, saying that the glory of the Silmaril and its holiness might overcome all such evils, even as it burnt the {[? }foul{]} flesh of {Karkaras}[Carcharoth]. ‘Nor,’ said he, ‘have I seen ever my Tinúviel so fair as now she is, clasped in the loveliness of this thing of {gold}[silver]’; but {Gwendelin}[Melian] said: ‘Yet the Silmaril abode in the Crown of {Melko}[Morgoth], and that is the work of baleful smiths indeed.’>
§333 (§51e) <TN Then said Tinúviel that she desired not things of worth or precious stones but the {elfin}[elven] gladness of the forest, and to pleasure {Gwendelin}[Melian] she cast it from her neck; but Beren was little pleased and he would not suffer it to be flung away, but warded it in his [treasury].>
§334 (§51f) RD-SL-28.5<Q30 Yet Melian warned them ever of the curse that lay upon the treasure and upon the Silmaril. The treasure they had drowned indeed in the river {Ascar, and named it anew} {Rathlóriel}[Rathmallen], Golden-Bed, yet the Silmaril they retained{.} <moved from above, and{ that} for a while the Land of the Dead that Live became like a vision of the land of the {Gods}[Valar], and no places have been since so fair, so fruitful, or so filled with light.>
Some comments:
RD-SL-00.5: This the place were I changed the basic text from Q30 to Concerning … ‘The Hoard’. I markd the full text replaced of Q30by Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ as taken out. It runs trough several paragraphs and ends at ‘and none know where their meeting shall be again.’
RD-SL-01RD-EX-11.5: Of course we expand the gathering of Húrins band, their dealing with Mîm and the transport to Doriath as we have done before.
RD-EX-08: I am not sure if we discussed this before: In our old discussion I was in error to name Galweg the father of Flinding, but in TN he is the father of Failivrin. So we have to change {Galweg}[Orodreth].
RD-EX-11.5d: I rearanged the sequence of speaking, to let Húrin have the last word. As we have abopted that Mîm was killed by an arrow put trough his throat he can not speak the curse dyding. In my arrangement he utters it as a last try to desuade Húrin from killing him – and fails since Húrin would not take the hoard from himself and the curse will rather enhance his vengeance on Thingol.
RD-EX-11.52 & RD-EX-11.53: If Húrin is to take the Nauglamír from the Hoard he must have a chance to inspect it by himself, but as we reinstalled the Outlaws in carrying the Hoard, he has to order them take it afterwards.
RD-EX-11.54a & RD-EX-11.54b: Here I used for the first time a snippet from Concerning … ‘The Hoard’. That Húrin set the course of action was clear in all versions but is here made nicely explicit.
RD-SL-05d: As said above, I am undecided about this. We could use it or we could skip.
RD-EX-15b, RD-EX-17b, RD-EX-17d, RD-EX-15d & RD-EX-15e: I changed the sequence here to get some flow with the speech from Concerning … ‘The Hoard’. And since here Thingol does not lose his contenace the passage from TN where he sends Húrin away can not be taken.
RD-EX-20.1: This is modivied to allow part of Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ to stand. (See my P.S. for a fan-ficional idea I had while working out this passage.)
RD-SL-08b: From her I took a long passage from TN, as that is the best description of the strife between Thingol and the Outlaws.
RD-EX-20.2: I think the bewilderment by Melians magic and the dark ways are no longer valid seeing how Menegroth was later described.
RD-EX-20.25: If we take up the Outlaws kill on the road then the Outlaws killed in Menegroth are no longer the first victiems of Mîm’s curse.
RD-EX-20.3: To cast the bodies of the killed Outlaws forth, is even in TN problematic: To where did they cast them? Out of Doriath – to long a way; just out of Menegroth – to have the stench of the routing bodies all over the place?
RD-EX-20.4: This is taken vom Q30 because it is the last mentioning of the name. I have no idea if that name is still useable in later Sindarin.
RD-EX-23b: Since we reinstalled the fight with the Outlaws we have as well to reinstall trebly curse and Melians warning about it.
RD-EX-26b: I adde the ‘pale silver’ since sliver plays a crucial part in the story as told in Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ and is never mentiond in TN or TT. If some one has a beter idea then ‘pale’ for the description of the colour of silver to go with the ‘red’ of gold, I am open. But keep in mind that we speak about ‘masses and bars’ and not polished coins or precious.
RD-EX-29.1 & RD-EX-32.1: The resulting test is unchanged, but we need a marker since Q30 is no longer the basic text.
RD-EX-29b &RD-EX-32b: This is slightly changed for the integration with the new basic text.
RD-EX-40b: Changed to the effect of the dwarves asking to put the Nauglír together with the Silmaril.
RD-EX-30c & RD-EX-29b: I used this passages to explain why Thingol considers ‘the boon’, at all even so he has already some doubts about the dwarfish motives.
RD-EX-36.5b: This nicely prepairs the passage from Concerning … ‘The Hoard’, were Thingol rethings the bargain.
RD-EX-44.1: I hope this editing works to get a flowing text combined with the offering of less than the tithe.
RD-EX-46c: ‘departed in wrath’ is a bit short and this is my try to elaborate on it.
RD-EX-51b: I took Fangluin back in to gage Naugladur to an at first sight hopeless action.
RD-SL-21: I had to re-arange these sentences to get a readable text.
RD-EX-60b, RD-EX-63,5b, RD-EX-64c, RD-EX-65c & RD-SL-22b: As Concerning … ‘The Hoard’ does agree in sequence of events with TN I used that text here and edited as necessary.
RD-EX-59.55: I needed a bridge her for the return to the basis text.
RD-EX-59.56: Again reaganged to get some better flow.
RD-EX-59.57: Marker needed because Q30 is no longer the basic text.
RD-EX-70b: Change to accord with the Fugitivs as messenger for Beren and Lúthien.
RD-EX-73: In all the following passages concerning the battle I changed the reference the river to Ascar and took up the name ‘Sarn Athrod’ for the Ford over Ascar. Other wise there is not much changed.
RD-EX-81b: Q30 has still the warning about the curse by Melian, therefore I took up the description of her coming from TN.
RD-SL-28.5: Here at the long last we change back our basic text to Q30.
As always please feel free to disagree with me!
Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: I said before, that I find it sad that with the story as told now we lose Asgon as possible story teller. And while working on the text a purely fan-fictional solution for that issue poped up in my mind, that I would like to share here. BUT please mark: I am in strong opostion to take this up into our text! If some one thingks about agruing about it, he needs to present support from some original Tolkien source. I formatted the sinpet as we would edtit it the the -FF- in the marker signifiying fan-fiction. We jump into the story in the moment when Hurin leaves Menegroth:
Quote:
§288 (§17b) RD-EX-20.1 <TN Now therefore did {those}[many] of {Úrin}[Húrin]'s band murmur,> RD-FF-01 <editorial addition but Asgon, how had in all that time not touch any part of that hoard,> RD-FF-02 <QS77 stooping lifted up the Nauglamír from where it lay before Thingol's chair, and he gave it to him, saying: 'Receive now, lord, the Necklace of the Dwarves, as a gift from one who has nothing, and as a memorial of Húrin of Dor-lómin. For now {my}, me seems, his fate is fulfilled, and the purpose of Morgoth achieved{; but I am his thrall no longer}.'
Then he turned away, and passed out from the Thousand Caves.> {The}But the outlaws, released from the presence of Húrin, claimed that {it}[u]the hoard[/b] was theirs, won by their weapons and labour.{ Fighting broke out, even in the inviolable halls of Thingol.}RD-SL-08b <TN {and}And one said to the king: 'Lo, lord, our captain {Úrin}[Húrin], an old man and mad, has departed, but we have no mind to forego our gain.'
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote