View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #80
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Hopping in to offer my humble opinion on the matter.

I agree with Fin about the death of Thingol. Concerning the Hoard is a short summary in comparison to TN, and the more detailed version of events there does not necessarily contradict this text.

With regard to the Nauglamir and the outlaws, I am also a combiner by nature. Since the Nauglamir's origin as made for Finrod by the dwarves is from a relatively unknown source, I think we cannot discount Christopher Tolkien's use of that in the published Silmarillion. To me it seems a minor change, and one easily resolved. Both Concerning the Hoard and the published Silm version of the story have the Dwarves taking the Nauglamir as payment for their unpaid labor, since it was made by them. The only difference is the timing. In the published Silm, it was made by them for Finrod long ago, while in Concerning the Hoard it was made for Thingol just recently. I think with the source of the Finrod story somewhat unknown, we should defer to it as likely authoritative, and since it requires such small modification to the material, I think it is the best route.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote