View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 03:33 AM   #79
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
In the books forum I did agree rather to the concept that Text X is the logical 'end point' of cutting out the outlaws and their fight in Menegroth and that most likly, when JRR Tolkien, while writing Wanderings of Húrin discovered, that he needed the Outlaws, the concept of cutting out the fight of the dwarfish simths makes the pre-history of the Nauglamir unneseccary.

But I am hesitating to rule out the possibility that the Nauglamir made for Finrod had some completly diffrent background and should therefore be combined with the storyline of Concerning ... 'The Hoard'.
So much that my first attemp at an edited text version was exactly for that combination. But I don't think I will push that farther. To skip Text X as either earlier then Concerning ... 'The Hoard' or a proposed change unworkable for us, is most proberbly the 'cannonically' saver way.

It would be very good to have opinnions of some other members on that matter. I am very much a 'combiner' and that might not be the best approach in this complex.

On another point: Why do you think Concerning ... 'The Hoard' does change the storyline in regard to the death of Thingol? Okay, I see that Doriath is now open to an attack while Thingol is alive, so the timing might be different. And I agree that Concerning ... 'The Hoard' suggest that Thingol is killed after Menegroth was taken. But I do not see that it is necessarily within Menegroth that Thingol is killed. Concerning ... 'The Hoard' is equally to all other sources later then TN just a very short summary. Does any of these text ruleout the Hunt as a feature of the detailed story? I don't think so. And if we compair TN and Concerning ... 'The Hoard' then in both we have the sequence of
- dwarf-host enters Doriath
- Menegroth is taken
- Thingol is killed

Even if Concerning ... 'The Hoard' would strongly suggest that Thingol died within Menegroth (which it does not, in my oppinion), since we have nothing beside that over short statement, I would consider this a change unworkable for us.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote