View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 04:39 AM   #65
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
CE-EX-26b: Okay.

CE-EX-28.2 & CE-EX-28.4: If you find some linguistical doubts about any of these names, we can edit them out.

CE-EX-37.5: Agreed, and my new version has it included.

CE-EX-38.6b and following: Good that you see an improvement, otherwise it would have been a bit of a disappointment 😊.
Quote:
I suppose you could say it's incumbent on us to try, since MT is later than AAm, and since we can't really know that a change is unworkable unless we try to work it.
This is always an argument at the start of the editing, and as you might expect, I do not share your feeling that the text I created feels like a Frankenstein’s monster.
Quote:
It seems that you feel pretty strongly in favour of incorporating this version of the story, so maybe you could explain why you see it as so worthwhile?
That is true, I would in this case rather skip all parts from LT than not using the story line of MT VI. But I fear that would not help get ride of your Frankenstein feeling. I tried to explain my reasons in the last post, but maybe it was too vague.

When ever Tolkien during his work on the Legendarium wrote at length about (e.g. LT, Laws and Customs) or analyzed (e.g. MT) the character of Manwe, the picture is that of a “thinker” rather than a “maker”. Manwe searches always for compromise not for conflict and avoids violence by all possible means. That picture does not come through in the shorter Sil77. There the focus is, somewhat naturally due to its shortness, on his actions: He gainsays Melkors claim for Arda in the beginning, he it is that resolves to attack Utumno and we assume that he send Eonwe to bring down Morgoth at the end of the first age.

In our editing we do in some places already include a kind differentiation, like Manwe’s reluctance against the hiding of Valinor or the story of his concourse with Manwe about elvish re-embodiment. But the analysis in MT VI does much more: It set him in a sharp contrast to Melkor and in that way reveals a lot about both characters. (By the way LT did the same, but with a different characterization of Melko as it stood at that time.) A similar argument could be made about Melkors characterization, but since he is a “maker”, he is much more in the focus of the story and we can learn much more about him by judging his actions. None the less are the directness of MT VI about Melkors “dispersing” and the immediacy in which it tells us about Melkors “trembling moment” unique.

That said it is clear (now) that we can not include that analysis in our main narrative. But there is still our famous Volume 3: THE LORE OF THE WISE. We could assume that we could include MT VI there, what ever we do with the storyline here, we “just” would have to edit it accordingly. But I think that will not work. Once Melkor is bound by Angainor, I do not see a chance for that reveling first encounter between Manwe and Melkor since ages nor for the trembling moment of near repentance of Melkor once Tulkas has stepped forward as champion of the Valar to fight him down.

I hope, I could make my motivation clearer this time.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote