View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Well, Tolkien defined the boundaries between four Ages as the end of the physical presence of Satan, and the two reigns of a fallen angel. Surely the entry of Eru into Ea would be at least as significant?
Quibble was the wrong word - I should have said I'm uncertain between the two. Because yes, absolutely! But also, I feel like Ages end rather than beginning, so to speak, and the Nativity was a beginning. The crucifixion, the Harrowing of Hell, and the Resurrection, strike me as more of an ending scenario. My understanding is that, in the Christian view, is when Christ saved humanity from both their own sins and the Original Sin.

But I'm not sure that's how Tolkien would see it; I've never been Catholic! And with the Immaculate Conception of Mary in the mix, it's possible that the birth of Christ completely without the stain of Original Sin would mark an 'end' to Satan's dominion. And, equally, calling the Resurrection an 'end' when the whole point is that Christ didn't end might not sit well with Tolkien.

hS
Huinesoron is online now   Reply With Quote