View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #45
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
CE-01: I agree with gandalf85 to take Aiwendil’s first proposle. But more important we agree to include CE-EX-03 as well, or not?

CE-SL-06: I am okay with ‘sun of summer’ with the addition of ‘later’ especially since the heraldic signs of Fingoflin and his son was a winged sun. I assume that they toke them after they entered Middle-earth at the first rising of the sun and in a backward application based on Fingoflin’s claim as High King of the Noldor applied the similar heraldic signs to his father Finwė and grand-(who know how often)-sire Tata. We placed that heraldic sign of the House of Tata (NN ‘Patterns’ (the winged sun in the upper right corner, sign of the second House; Artist; no. 183; p. 186) into this chapter.

CE-EX-06: So this means we would let the text stand as following:
Quote:
<AAm
{§41 }And when the Elves had dwelt in the world five and thirty Years of the Valar CE-EX-05.3{ (which is like unto three hundred and thirty-five of our years)} it chanced that Oromė rode to {Endon}[Endor] in his hunting, ... he heard afar off many voices singing. CE-EX-05.5{
§42 }Thus it was that the Valar found at last, as it were by chance, those whom they had so long awaited.{ And when Oromė looked upon them he was filled with wonder, as though they were things unforeseen and unimagined; and he loved the Quendi, and named them Eldar, the people of the stars.}
{§43 }Yet many of the Quendi were adread at his coming. ... if ever haply they met.
{§44 }Thus it was that when Nahar neighed ... and all the noblest of the Quendi were drawn towards it.> CE-EX-05.2 <Q&E {when}When Oromė appeared among them, and at length some dared to approach him, they asked him his name, and he answered: Oromė. Then they asked him what that signified, and again he answered: Oromė. To me only is it given; for I am Oromė. Yet the titles that he bore were many and glorious; but he withheld them at that time, that the Quendi should not be afraid.
{Nahar, the name of Oromė’s horse. ‘}Otherwise it was{,’ says Pengolodh, ‘} with the steed upon which the Lord Oromė rode. When the Quendi asked his name, and if it bore any meaning, Oromė answered: ‘Nahar, and he is called from the sound of his voice, when he is eager to run.’>
<AAm{§45 }But of those hapless who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living hath descended into the pits of Utumno, or hath explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressėa: that all those of the Quendi that came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty and wickedness were corrupted and enslaved. CE-EX-06 Thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orkor in envy and mockery of the Eldar, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orkor had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the semblance thereof, could ever Melkor make since his rebellion in the Ainulindalė before the Beginning: so say the wise. And deep in their dark hearts the Orkor loathed the Master whom they served in fear, the maker only of their misery. This maybe was the vilest deed of Melkor and the most hateful to Eru.>
I left the marker CE-EX-06 to make the reference of our discussion clear, but as we decisede know it is no change to the text.
I suppose that the subheading CE-EX-24 can be removed in this case as well, or moved to a later place according to that in AAm.

Gandalf85’s additional points:
1. k -> c: Agreed, I will add these cases to the list of general changes if they are not included already and search the entire text if they are done or not. But fully correct is ‘Cuiviénen’ what so ever it does replace.
While doing this I found that we use only once the word ‘Orocarni’ in the phrase: ‘the {Orokarni}[Orocarni], the Mountains of the East’. Even so that is normaly not the way we do it must we not in this case provide the translation to allowe the connection to the Red Mountains of the Ambarcanta and the Maps? I suppose we exchange ‘Mountains of the East’ with ‘Red Mountains in the East’ and name that change CE-EX-05.4.

2. See posting #42 the removal of this was named CE-EX-05.3.

3. Thank you for pointing these out.

4. You are right, I agree to your suggestion.

5. Agreed.

6. Yes, your wish seems in agreement with ArcusCalion’s latest suggestion and seeing the plans for Volume 3 I can easily agree to this as well. Let us discuss how we handle the original text (which includes a sort of extract of this) when Aiwendil comes to that passage.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote