Thread: Lambion Ontalë
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
LH-01.5: Agreed.

DP-10b/10.5/11.5: Agreed, but I would change "after Pengolodh left" to "After Pengolodh departed Middle-earth" to be clearer and keep to Tolkien's style more.

LO-03b: Agreed.

LO-03.5: Agreed, but it should be 'were' not 'where.'

LO-06: Yes, that is a simple slip-up on my posting in the private forum.

LO-10: Very well, we can leave it as it is in the original.

LO-11: I am unsure why you mention Eol here, since this marker refers to the statement that Quenya became more like Sindarin in Middle-earth.

LO-17: Good catch.

LO-22.5: Very nice catch Fin! Agreed.

LO-24b: We may use speeches. I would rather not remove it if we do not need to. It is a minor thing, and as far as I know is not incorrect, it simply sounds unusual to me.

LO-25: Agreed. It is nice not to have to remove so much information.

LO-29: I agree in principle, but I would also remove the 'with' and change your 'Sindar' to 'among the Sindar.'

LO-32: This seems like a riskier change but I am not entirely opposed. But I wonder if it is necessary? Why not leave it as 'ruin of their realm' and leave it to the reader to interpret the meaning?

LO-37: Agreed.

LO-40: Why is Children bad?

LO-41: I am glad I seem to have stumbled my way to an acceptable edit here! I was not confident about the timeline at all.

LO-42.5: Splendid!

LO-44.5: Because of the additions from the Appendix F below, I saw this which I think can be included here:
Quote:
.... seldom learned by those of other race.
LO-44.5 <Appendix F In {this history}the histories it appears only in such place-names as Gimli revealed to his companions; and in the battle-cry which he uttered in the siege of the Hornburg. That at least was not secret, and had been heard on many a field since the world was young. Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu! 'Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!'
Gimli's own name, however, and the names of all his kin, are of Northern (Mannish) origin. Their own secret and 'inner' names, their true names, the Dwarves have never revealed to any one of alien race. Not even on their tombs do they inscribe them.>
The Dwarves were not, .....
LO-46: Because of the edits about the timing we should indeed keep it.

LO-54: We can remove 'the.' As for {Uldor}[Ulfang] is that not a later change of Tolkien's? I may have been mistaken.

LO-55: Yes we must be vigilant about that going forward.

LO-AF-56-68/70: Agreed, we can keep the text.

LO-AF-59-61: Did we not use this material elsewhere?

LO-AF-61b: Agreed.

LO-AF-62: We mus include the Hobbit information if we are giving the third age info, and it is in this section that the greatest amount of expansion will be found in the texts of HoME 12. I would, however, leave out the title.

LO-AF-63.5: Agreed.

LO-AF-66/68: Agreed.

LO-AF-69/69.5: Agreed.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote