View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
1) Fin pointed out that the statements are not a contradiction. Saruman was also good for a time, and no doubt did much to prevent Sauron from gaining more power. However, he fell after some time. The same is equally possible of the Blue Wizards. This coupled with the vague language combines to make the two differing statements not contradictory.

2) Put your suggestion in that thread. I'm open to moving it.

3) This is the only other place where this occurs. We changed the similar statements in earlier chapters, so we should no doubt do so here.

4) Good catches!

5) I didn't think it was out of place in this chapter to be honest. I consider The Black Years and The Fading Years to be the last two parts continuing the narrative of the Quenta Silmarillion and the Atanatarion. Having this at the end of the work lends the whole thing a sense of finality and conclusion that I think is nice to have. The New Shadow is by its very incomplete nature a clearly unusual text, and must be dated later than the compilation of the previous texts. But it is definitely a debatable issue.
As for the argument that it is 'fanfiction-y,' then I must agree with gandalf here. By this definition, the whole project is fanfiction-y. But as it is a small thing, there is no reason to debate too long on it.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote