View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
1) OK, I'm fine with keeping it since we have heavily hinted at Saruman's betrayal.

2) I was debating whether to keep "when Deagol the Stoor found the One Ring". I agree to keeping it.

3) OK, I agree to ArcusCalion's change.

4) OK, I agree to keeping it, since it is in reference to the discussion about their dislike of water.

5) I agree to Fin's change, it makes the flow a bit smoother.

6) I think we should keep the footnote but include something about Balin's quest to retake Moria in an earlier chapter. I will see if I can find something suitable, where to put it, and post my suggestion in that thread.

7) Reading through the text again with your explanations, I understand it now. However, I still think it is slightly confusing/misleading without some slight editing. I think ArcusCalion's suggestion works, but how about:

Quote:
The Witch-king thus learned that Saruman knew well all along where the Shire was, and knew much about it, which he could and should have told to Sauron's servants HR-SL-13.1 earlier if he had been a true ally.
I think this makes it very clear. My main point of contention is that the text says "he could and should have told Saruon's servants" but that is exactly what he did. The problem, as Arcus explained, is that he should have told them earlier.

8) I personally think we should add "1418 in the Shire reckoning". It is jarring to change to the Shire reckoning all of a sudden, but to me it wasn't implicitly clear; it seemed like a typo/mistake. But if you both don't think it's necessary, I will acquiesce.

10) Yes, I agree it can be explained, so I agree to keep it as is.

11) I figured some of these weren't exactly "typos" but were due to Tolkien rapidly writing his ideas down.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote