View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The North Kingdom and the Dúnedain

This is the first draft of the chapter The North Kingdom and the Dúnedain.

This chapter is a thoroughly mixed bag of sources, and so there is no base text. Because of this, I have marked every instance of any text used, so as to be easy to follow.

The markings are:
FY-HL-xx for all the headlines for the Fading Years.
NKD-SL-xx for all expansions and changes to the narrative.

Some conventions of my writing:

Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalized text, normally only used for general changes, as well as changes which are a part of replacement that is not grammatical.
Underlined Text = text changed for grammatical reasons in the process of combining and inserting and removing.
<source example> = additions with source information
...... = This section of the paragraph is unchanged from the source.

Quote:
FY-HL-07 <THE NORTH KINGDOM AND THE DÚNEDAIN>

NKD-SL-01 <Appendix A On the death of Ondoher and his sons, .... the Steward of King Ondoher, played the chief part.
The Council of Gondor answered: ..... law is otherwise in Arnor.’
To this Arvedui replied: ‘Elendil had two sons, ..... nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
‘Moreover, in Númenor of old the scepter descended ..... seeing that the sons of Ondoher died childless.’ [Footnote: That law was made in Númenor NKD-SL-02 (as we have learned from the King) when Tar-Aldarion, the sixth king, left only ..... It was, however, from Silmarien that Elendil was descended.]
To this Gondor made no answer. ..... drawing near when the North-kingdom would come to an end.
Arvedui was indeed the last king, ..... until the Dúnedain arise and are united again.’
In Gondor also one king only followed .... Arthedain seemed a small thing, for all the lineage of its lords.
He sent messages to Arvedui announcing that .... and Arvedui when he succeeded did likewise.>
NKD-SL-03 <Appendix A In 1974 the power of Angmar arose again, and the Witch-king came down .... and they escaped by the swiftness of their horses.
For a while Arvedui hid in the tunnels ..... hoping for help from the south; for his horses had perished.
When Círdan heard from Aranarth son of Arvedui of the king's flight ..... the ice was only beginning to break, and lay far out from the shore.
When the Snowmen saw the ship they were amazed ..... In this way a boat from the ship was able to reach them.
But the Snowmen were uneasy; for they said .... but now his breath is deadly, and his cold arm is long.’
But Arvedui did not take his counsel. He thanked him, ..... of all that you desire.’ of all that you desire.’ [Footnote: In this way the ring of the House ..... , and Beren recovered at great peril.]
Yet the counsel of the Lossoth was good, ...... [Footnote: These were the Stones of Annúminas and Amon Sûl. The only Stone ..... That was guarded by the Elves, and NKD-SL-04 though we never knew it, it remained there, until Círdan put it aboard Elrond’s ship when he left. But we are told that it was unlike the others and not in accord .... below covered Númenor forever.] It was long afterwards that news of the shipwreck of Forochel was learned from the Snowmen.
The Shire-folk survived, though war swept over them ...... from whom the Oldbucks claimed descent. He became Thain in 379 of our reckoning (1979).>

NKD-SL-05 <Appendix A {but at}At last in the autumn of 1973 messages came ..... the Witch-king had conquered Arthedain and Arvedui had perished.
But when Eärnur came to the Grey Havens ...... and with them were riders tall and fair, and proud princes of Rhovanion.
Then Círdan summoned all who would come ...... thinking to sweep them, as others before, into the Lune.
But the Host of the West came down on him ..... nor an orc of that realm remained west of the Mountains.
But it is said that when all was lost suddenly ..... and it swerved and bore him far away before he could master it.
Then the Witch-king laughed, and none that heard ..... and he was lost, and none saw whither he went.
Eärnur now rode back, but Glorfindel, ..... desiring only to be avenged for his disgrace.
So ended the evil realm of Angmar; ...... years were still to pass before that was revealed.>
NKD-SL-06 <Appendix A After Arvedui the North-kingdom ended, ..... the star of Elendil, and the scepter of Annúminas.
When the kingdom ended the Dúnedain passed ...... which ever after remained a peril in Eriador, and are not yet ended.>
NKD-SL-07 <Appendix A It was the pride and wonder of the Northern Line that, .... and far beyond the days of even the oldest amongst us.>
This chapter is very straightforward. Most of the editing consists of flipping between the Arnor and Gondor narratives in Appendix A. Fin may be able to find some Heirs of Elendil additions, but as I recall, most of the Arnor storyline was not in its final form in that work.

NKD-SL-01: We start off with the claim of Arvedui over the crown of Gondor. This addition ends in the middle of a sentence, and we continue from the second part of that sentence in NKD-SL-05.

NKD-SL-02/04: Here we may discuss something about the structure of the Appendices. As they are written, they are meant to be written by Hobbits, and so the authorial voice sometimes creeps in, especially in these footnotes. Since we are posing this work as the Translations from the Elvish done by Bilbo, I think we can leave these references to the Hobbit authors in, but I figured I would mark them just in case there is some discussion to be had.

NKD-SL-03: Here we turn to the Arnor narrative with the fall of Arthedain and the death of Arvedui.

NKD-SL-05: Here we return to the sentence we left off at in the Gondor narrative, and tell of the defeat of the Witch-King.

NKD-SL-06: Here we return to the Arnor narrative, and introduce the Dunedain as rangers.

NKD-SL-07: I pulled this paragraph from later on in this part of Appendix A because I think it fits best here as a sort of discussion of the Dunedain in general.

This is a very straightforward chapter, which is the calm before the storm that is the following chapter....
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote